Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over 2 hours of nice diving with a buoyancy babe this morning, listening to the rain and watching as the water grew brighter. The viz was about 30 and the temp ranged between 79.2 and 79.9. We saw lots of nice critters and enjoyed the antics of a playful common octopus who was all over my fingers.

The bridge always offers some great bio-diversity and today's dive was no different. Juvenile searobins, pipefish, conch (not fighting), garden eels and a purplemouth moray, We had two unusual sightings and could use some help...

Could this be a juvenile Rough Triggerfish?

asset.php

This was shot from beneath one of the swim buoies. It was maybe 4 inches and ignored us completely.

We also encountered this fellow free swimming in the water column (in maybe 5 feet of water). It was maybe 3 inches and looked a bit like a garden eel, but I've never seen one free swimming. The image isn't the best as the camera had trouble with focus.
Blue Heron Bridge Free Swimming Garden Eel.jpg

As I said it was a fine dawn dive (even if at times we were navigationally challenged)...thanks Jet! :vintagediver:

Attachments

• Blue Heron Bridge Unknown a.jpg
    Blue Heron Bridge Unknown a.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 298
Over 2 hours of nice diving with a buoyancy babe this morning, listening to the rain and watching as the water grew brighter. The viz was about 30 and the temp ranged between 79.2 and 79.9. We saw lots of nice critters and enjoyed the antics of a playful common octopus who was all over my fingers.

The bridge always offers some great bio-diversity and today's dive was no different. Juvenile searobins, pipefish, conch (not fighting), garden eels and a purplemouth moray, We had two unusual sightings and could use some help...

Could this be a juvenile Rough Triggerfish?

This was shot from beneath one of the swim buoies. It was maybe 4 inches and ignored us completely.

We also encountered this fellow free swimming in the water column (in maybe 5 feet of water). It was maybe 3 inches and looked a bit like a garden eel, but I've never seen one free swimming. The image isn't the best as the camera had trouble with focus.
View attachment 125765

As I said it was a fine dawn dive (even if at times we were navigationally challenged)...thanks Jet! :vintagediver:
#1 is a juvenile File fish and #2 is a Pike Blenny out swimming around

14740_102740496414679_100000361863269_67632_1544666_n.jpg

Jenny,

The first time we dove together and you showed me a colony...same place?
uh.. maybe..

Very Nice-

Jenny I am starting to think I may actually have to dive to find these critters.
I live 15 minutes from Hollywood and can't find them at BHB after an 1.5 hour drive
and thats despite some kind directions.
Oh well, may be like the bumblebee shrimp where I couldn't find any and now see them frequently....:vintagediver:
John
well, let's dive! Once you spot them.. they will be easy from now on. Took me what seemed like forever to see one, now I can find them outa the corner of my eye!

#1 is a juvenile File fish and #2 is a Pike Blenny out swimming around

14740_102740496414679_100000361863269_67632_1544666_n.jpg

Looking at the other 3 images I'm 90% sure it wasn't a pikeblenny. The skin is (as Jet says): "eely smooth" plus the fin and head shape are different.

I can't tell what your free-swiming eel is, but you can occasionally see a Key Worm Eel at BHB, we saw one thursday, they kind of look similar to garden eels.

What a huge white sea sponge!!!!

Thanks Jenny will take you up on that SOON!

Next weekend is looking good!

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom