Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice crisp shot of the first eagle ray.
Don't feel bad about the sailfin, I live here and they are still eluding me.
Have to leave some critters in your bucket list for next visit.

Temps holdin' pretty steady at 77F. 40 plus viz and blue water. I usually see the spotted eagle ray by
itself but a nice pair of them running north just north of the small bridge. small southern ray south of
the small bridge and a few other nice sightings in the area. May switch to the beanie and put away the
hooded vest soon but it is pretty warm on those ninety minute dives ! Oh yeah saw a lionfish hunkered down
under the starboard side hull of that smaller boat that is centered between the pilings more toward the east
side of the east span. (not the wreck that is kinda wedged between the two pilings) more to the east. A great
day at the bridge.

Yes, this is a sailfin Blenny! It is odd to have it out of its hole, it must have been defending against intruders. The best way to capture one out of its hole is to set a mirror up next to the sailfin's hole. It will think the reflection is an intruder and strike at it....

---------- Post added at 12:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 AM ----------

You do realize a diver would have to be within a foot of the surface for this to be an issue? Jet skis are not using propellers, they are using jets of water. The picture above appears to be well within the law, the jet wash is way behind the driver, and they appear to be a wake speed

---------- Post added at 12:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 AM ----------

I have no idea why my two posts were combined... I have no idea why they are out of context... I have no idea why they do not quote the original posts, I am responding to...

If you were there and actually saw how fast it was going you would think otherwise. The wash was from when he was going really fast. Yes...I know how jet skis work but if you had to surface and got clunked in the head you might not enjoy it so much.

I think the point we can all take away is a dive flag is not a magic shield and with all the idiots out there a healthy dose of caution in shallow dives is required.
Scary thing about Jet ski is I might be coming up for a look see and not hear it in time like I would the props of death....
Luckily I am told I have a very hard head, gelcoat beware!

Had to dive today sans Bouyancy Babes .....:(

A small eagle ray met me at the start of the dive and circled me twice before departing.
temp was still 77-78 with ok viz at about 50 feet. I had a hour and 54 minutes of relaxation.
Saw all the usual suspects and what I think is a swollen claw mantis who was near where the "trash boat" used to moor.

Swollen Claw Mantis?

It has the 4 spikes on the last 2 tail plates and a medial ridge on the final plate as well....

Attachments

• Blue Heron Bridge Self-Reliant Mantis.jpg
    Blue Heron Bridge Self-Reliant Mantis.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 174
Had to dive today sans Bouyancy Babes .....:(

A small eagle ray met me at the start of the dive and circled me twice before departing.
temp was still 77-78 with ok viz at about 50 feet. I had a hour and 54 minutes of relaxation.
Saw all the usual suspects and what I think is a swollen claw mantis who was near where the "trash boat" used to moor.

Swollen Claw Mantis?

It has the 4 spikes on the last 2 tail plates and a medial ridge on the final plate as well....

I *love* all these "strange-eyed" critters, especially with all the cool colors they show up with. I had concluded that all these little guys at the bridge fell under the ciliated false squilla banner. Would love to know more.

Kevin

---------- Post added at 07:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 PM ----------

Yes, this is a sailfin Blenny! It is odd to have it out of its hole, it must have been defending against intruders. The best way to capture one out of its hole is to set a mirror up next to the sailfin's hole. It will think the reflection is an intruder and strike at it....

Sully agreed over at the Critter ID forum. How does that young whippersnapper know so much?? :D He *does* seem to be an impressive young fellow - *in spite* of being from New Jersey. :D

Kevin

(*HEY* - *mine* got combined, too. Must be a new "timing" rule). :D

Last edited:
I *love* all these "strange-eyed" critters, especially with all the cool colors they show up with. I had concluded that all these little guys at the bridge fell under the ciliated false squilla banner. Would love to know more.

Kevin

---------- Post added at 07:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 PM ----------

Sully agreed over at the Critter ID forum. How does that young whippersnapper know so much?? :D He *does* seem to be an impressive young fellow - *in spite* of being from New Jersey. :D

Kevin

(*HEY* - *mine* got combined, too. Must be a new "timing" rule). :D

The Cilated False Squilla usually has a white stripe down the back and the tail looks a bit different it has that fan "thingy" like a lobster not the spikes...that's why I'm going with the swollen-claw mantis id for now...

Blue Heron Bridge Self-Reliant Swollen Claw Back.jpg

Great first shot Jim.
I'm never ready when they make a dash but hope springs eternal,
speaking of which these glowing reports of warmer water may let me pack away my 7 ml :banana:

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom