Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks amazing and nice to have the good Viz back. We will be there tomorrow.

Attended the bridge today for snorkeling and diving. The park was not crowded. Visibility remained unchanged from yesterday, 50-60ft. Sea temp remained unchanged from yesterday at 78F. Tuesday and Wednesday the current was stronger than what I would consider usual, today it was not as strong, what I would consider "usual strength". Snorkeled the trail before diving. Except for the first five minutes of the dive it was just me and all the fish on the west side. Found four pipefish in the first ten minutes, one of which was a Crested Pipefish Cosmocampus brachycephalus. Crested pipefish has only been recorded four times out 175,00 REEF fish surveys, three times in Roatan, and one other time at BHB this past May. The school of 300-400 Crevalle Jack put another appearance in at the channel barrier. Observed 10 Gray Angelfish swimming together, I have seen groups of up to 8 before but never 10, what I consider a Squadron of Angelfish. Respectively, Black Grouper, Crested Pipefish, Angelfish Squadron, Shark Statute Wide Angle on snorkel, Spotted Moray out for a swim, and channel barrier wide angle.

12-09-21 Black Grouper.jpeg
12-09-21 Crested Pipefsih.jpeg
12-09-21 Gray Angelfish Squadron.jpeg
12-09-21 Shark Statue Wide Angle.jpeg
12-09-21 Spotted Moray.jpeg
12-09-21 Wide Angle.jpeg

Attended the bridge today for snorkeling and diving. The park was not crowded. Visibility remained unchanged from yesterday, 50-60ft. Sea temp remained unchanged from yesterday at 78F. Tuesday and Wednesday the current was stronger than what I would consider usual, today it was not as strong, what I would consider "usual strength". Snorkeled the trail before diving. Except for the first five minutes of the dive it was just me and all the fish on the west side. Found four pipefish in the first ten minutes, one of which was a Crested Pipefish Cosmocampus brachycephalus. Crested pipefish has only been recorded four times out 175,00 REEF fish surveys, three times in Roatan, and one other time at BHB this past May. The school of 300-400 Crevalle Jack put another appearance in at the channel barrier. Observed 10 Gray Angelfish swimming together, I have seen groups of up to 8 before but never 10, what I consider a Squadron of Angelfish. Respectively, Black Grouper, Crested Pipefish, Angelfish Squadron, Shark Statute Wide Angle on snorkel, Spotted Moray out for a swim, and channel barrier wide angle.

View attachment 694849View attachment 694850View attachment 694851View attachment 694852View attachment 694853View attachment 694854
...and I sat at my computer in an office in WPB today. Sigh.

me too..

Went to the bridge for diving today. More people were at the park than yesterday, but it was still not crowded. High tide was at 1319, sea temperature was 79F, visibility 50-60ft. Entered the east side at 1205, and did a 60 minute dive, counted 67 species including a Whitenose Pipefish, and Jack Knife Fish. Exited the east side, walked across the parking lot and did a 75 minute dive on the west side, counted 67 species again, including 3 Shortfin Pipefish, and a Crested Pipefish (I believe the same one from yesterday). Respectively, Jack Knife Fish, Juvenile Night Sergeant, Whitenose Pipefish (all on the eastside), and wide angle Spadefish taken on the west side.

12-10-21 Jack Knife Fish.jpeg
12-10-21 Juvenile Night Sergeant.jpeg
12-10-21 White Nose Pipefish.jpeg
12-10-21 Spadefish.jpeg
12-10-21 Spadefish1.jpeg

Beautiful today, and great viz. Not crowded when you can see more than a few spots before the washrooms :) I might try again on the -weekend, could be that the sub-80 water is scaring off the snorkelers, good for us!

While some shots didn't come out we caught a glimpse of a huge manatee on the west side and an eagle ray too. A friendly octopus, a colony of garden eels and even a small cornetfish. Such an amazing place we always feel blessed to be able to visit frequently.

Anyone have any idea what that little guy is in the last picture??
1639191128223.png

1639191377707.png

1639191008861.png
1639191040849.png

1639191084438.png

Beautiful today, and great viz. Not crowded when you can see more than a few spots before the washrooms :) I might try again on the -weekend, could be that the sub-80 water is scaring off the snorkelers, good for us!

While some shots didn't come out we caught a glimpse of a huge manatee on the west side and an eagle ray too. A friendly octopus, a colony of garden eels and even a small cornetfish. Such an amazing place we always feel blessed to be able to visit frequently.

Anyone have any idea what that little guy is in the last picture??
View attachment 695020
View attachment 695021
View attachment 695017View attachment 695018
View attachment 695019
I was looking at the pipefish image and first thought it was a Shortfin Pipefish (the most common pipefish species at BHB), however on closer examination I think it is a Banded Pipefish because of the short snout. If you look in Humann's book it is deceiving because that particular image has exaggerated banding. However Banded Pipefish come in a lot of different colors. Nice find!

I was looking at the pipefish image and first thought it was a Shortfin Pipefish (the most common pipefish species at BHB), however on closer examination I think it is a Banded Pipefish because of the short snout. If you look in Humann's book it is deceiving because that particular image has exaggerated banding. However Banded Pipefish come in a lot of different colors. Nice find!
Short snout indeed, thanks for pointing that out. I do think that's right. It was very small/thin compared to others we had seen, we suspected a juvenile. We went back today to search for him again but no luck. Surely hiding from the weekend crowds kicking up a storm!

We had one guy stagger by carrying two open beers yell at us for wearing a wet suit (because we're in Florida he said). It just ain't the same on the weekends.

We spent much of our time in the south/west area and lucked upon a large mantis shrimp ,one of the resident batfish and lots of juvenile filefish. Nice Rosie Blenny, Tiger Gobi and a Ciliated Shrimp. Adding a few pics to share with those that are hoping to get back out there. Check our the 50+ Viz. Very Nice.

1639348400936.png

1639347466810.png

1639347724495.png

1639347504127.png

1639347538803.png

1639347575397.png

1639347603644.png

1639347753006.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom