Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 0800 for an 0900 high tide. The park was not crowded, though more people than I expected for a Monday morning. Entered the water at 0825, visibility was 30ft (somewhat better than yesterday), sea temp still holding at 78F. Did a REEF fish count, 75 species in sixty minutes. When trying tell juvenile Grey Angelfish from French Angelfish, the difference is in the coloring of the caudal fin. Grey Angelfish have a yellow body bar on the forward part of the caudal fin, the margin of the caudal fin is transparent. French Angelfish have the same yellow body bar on the forward part of the caudal fin, but the yellow goes all the way around the margin, like a little yellow ring. When trying to tell Juvenile Queen Angelfish from juvenile Blue Angelfish the body bars are the telltale. On the Queen Angelfish the body bars are slightly bent or arced, on the Blue Angelfish the body bars are straight. Lastly the two most common silver baitfish observed at the Phil Foster Park are Scaled Sardines and Spanish Sardines. They are somewhat difficult to tell apart. Scaled Sardines have a deeper body profile, and a slight greenish color mixed with the silver, Spanish Sardines have a less robust body profile and are more silvery. They are difficult to get still photos of because the color reflects strobe lights, and they move around so fast. Light was just right today to get a decent capture without strobe. Respectively Juvenile Queen Angelfish, Juvenile Grey Angelfish with slight genetic variation of coloring on caudal fin (another image of same individual is on the Oct 7, 2021 posting), Spanish Sardine, Spanish Sardine video.

12-20-21 Juve Queen Angel.jpeg
12-20-21 Juve Grey Angelfish.jpeg
12-20-21 Spanish Sardine.jpeg

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 0940 for a 1010 hightide. More people than I would have expected today, but still not very crowded. Sea temp varied 77-78F the whole dive. Visibility was about 30ft. Did a REEF fish count, 66 species in 60 minutes. It was a somewhat uninspired day in terms of photography. Respectively Juvenile Lionfish, and Sheepsheads in b&w.

12-22-21 Lionfish.jpeg
12-22-21 Sheepshead.jpeg

That lionfish.. easy to kill?
I saw one that small out on the reef a couple months ago. Took lots of photos, then tried to eridicate it.. dang bugger was a toughie!!!

That lionfish.. easy to kill?
I saw one that small out on the reef a couple months ago. Took lots of photos, then tried to eridicate it.. dang bugger was a toughie!!!
Considered it, but really, I am admittedly kind of a marshmellow when it comes to eradicating creatures. Maybe if I had a GI Joe size hawaiian sling I could of got it.

I carry a dive knife so I can sushi the small ones..

I carry a dive knife so I can sushi the small ones..
I do have a small dive knife clipped to my BC, but I so rarely use it I don't think about it. Always find a pair of scissors to be more useful. I guess I could try snipping at it.:)

I do have a small dive knife clipped to my BC, but I so rarely use it I don't think about it. Always find a pair of scissors to be more useful. I guess I could try snipping at it.:)

I've tried. Far harder to do than you'd think. They are surprisingly agile at escaping a thrust plus they are amazingly hardy. I stopped trying. Apart from a net or a Hawaiian sling, they are darn near impossible to kill.

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 0800 for an 0900 high tide. The park was not crowded, though more people than I expected for a Monday morning. Entered the water at 0825, visibility was 30ft (somewhat better than yesterday), sea temp still holding at 78F. Did a REEF fish count, 75 species in sixty minutes. When trying tell juvenile Grey Angelfish from French Angelfish, the difference is in the coloring of the caudal fin. Grey Angelfish have a yellow body bar on the forward part of the caudal fin, the margin of the caudal fin is transparent. French Angelfish have the same yellow body bar on the forward part of the caudal fin, but the yellow goes all the way around the margin, like a little yellow ring. When trying to tell Juvenile Queen Angelfish from juvenile Blue Angelfish the body bars are the telltale. On the Queen Angelfish the body bars are slightly bent or arced, on the Blue Angelfish the body bars are straight. Lastly the two most common silver baitfish observed at the Phil Foster Park are Scaled Sardines and Spanish Sardines. They are somewhat difficult to tell apart. Scaled Sardines have a deeper body profile, and a slight greenish color mixed with the silver, Spanish Sardines have a less robust body profile and are more silvery. They are difficult to get still photos of because the color reflects strobe lights, and they move around so fast. Light was just right today to get a decent capture without strobe. Respectively Juvenile Queen Angelfish, Juvenile Grey Angelfish with slight genetic variation of coloring on caudal fin (another image of same individual is on the Oct 7, 2021 posting), Spanish Sardine, Spanish Sardine video.

View attachment 696564View attachment 696565View attachment 696566

View attachment 696564View attachment 696565View attachment 696566

Another clear difference between juvenile French and Grey/Black Angelfish is the swimming pattern. French Angel juveniles swim with a sinuous weaving pattern, much like a Clownfish, while Grey Angels swim more quickly, darting like a butterfly fish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom