Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My first guess would be a planehead filefish..
thanks for the clarification.. or is it mudd? LOL

Went to bridge for diving today. Given that the visibility was poor yesterday, and the wind had been blowing all night, I was less than sanguine about what conditions might be like went I arrived. However the wind was out of the north/northwest so visibility has improved since yesterday, 20 feet compared to 10 feet. A few more people than yesterday, however all center aisle parking was empty, so not crowded. Hightide was at 1045, I entered the water at 1000. I was cold yesterday even though sea temp was 78f, so I switched from a 3mm to a 5mm wetsuit. Temperature at the beginning of the dive was 78f, but when the tide changed it dropped to 77f. Did a REEF fish count, 74 species in 60 minutes. Observed/filmed a Northern Stargazer bury itself in the sand. It's easy to see how a flounder or stingray might bury itself in very little time, however if you have a body shape like a shoebox one would think it might be a difficult endeavor, the Stargazer makes it look easy. Northern and Southern Stargazers look quite similar. Sometimes dots on a Southern Stargazer will have a starburst pattern. The identifier for a Northern is to look at how the body stripe is a very distinct continuation into the caudal fin. Observed a small Lined Seahorse drifting close to the bottom, unfortunately it had lost its caudal fin, making it difficult for it find purchase to objects like it normally does. Found a small Batfish, the rostrum is not right for a Polka-dot Batfish, I think it is Roughback Batfish, although it could be a Shortnose Batfish. To round out the fun, also found a Painted Wrasse. Normally Painted Wrasse are associated with depths greater than 80ft, but here it is at Phil Foster. Respectively, Roughback Batfish, Lined Seahorse, Juvenile Scrawled Cowfish, Painted Wrasse, and video clip of Northern Stargazer burying itself.

11-23-21 Roughback Batfish.jpeg
11-23-21 Lined Seahorse.jpeg
11-23-21 Scrawled Cowfish.jpeg
11-23-21 Painted Wrasse.jpeg

Went to the bridge for diving today. The park was crowded but not so badly that a parking space could be found by everyone, even those arriving closer to high tide. Entered the water at 1200 for a 1300 high tide. Visibility was 15 feet, and the sea temp was 78F. Stayed on the west side, because there were less divers there. Did a REEF fish count 60 species in sixty minutes. I have noticed more Cero Mackerel lately, very common out over reefs, but not so common at the bridge, according to REEF database Cero are reported 1.4% of the time for 2000 surveys. Respectively, Bucktooth Parrotfish, Cero, Harlequin Bass, Pygmy Filefish, and Rosy Blenny.
11-26-21 Bucktooth Parrotfish.jpeg
11-26-21 Cero.jpeg
11-26-21 Harlequin Bass.jpeg
11-26-21 Pygmy Filefish.jpeg
11-26-21 Rosy Blenny.jpeg

Went to the bridge for diving today. The park was not crowded. Entered the water at 0903 for a 0938 high tide. Visibility was as good as I have seen for a month at about 40ft. Sea temperature still holding at 78f. Did a REEF fish count, 66 species in 60 minutes. I often see Bar Jacks looking for help with parasites in their mouths from Porkfish, but until today have found it difficult to capture the image. Respectively, Puffed up Bandtail Puffer (I did not harass this fish, found it this way), Lionfish, Porkfish as Cleanerfish, and Caribbean Reef Squid.

12-06-21 Bandtail Puffer.jpeg
12-06-21 Lionfish.jpeg
12-06-21 Porkfish as Cleaner.jpeg
12-06-21 Reef Squid.jpeg

Nice!
Location of the lionfish?

I went Saturady for a 7:58 am high tide.
Still working on photos. Nothing overly spectacuar, but good finds, a little yellow seahorse, a snooty eel, and a cute little cowfish.

Nice!
Location of the lionfish?

I went Saturady for a 7:58 am high tide.
Still working on photos. Nothing overly spectacuar, but good finds, a little yellow seahorse, a snooty eel, and a cute little cowfish.
I had intentions of going Saturday and Sunday, but this week is convenient in terms of tides and since I don't work for a living like you do (retired), I skipped them. Is it snooty eel or sooty eel? Regardless, it is a good find. And of course a Seahorse is always a good find as well.

This particular little Lionfish is located in the pile of debris on the west side under the fishing pier.

oohhh love that pile
I dunno about the name of the eel, I thought it was snooty, maybe it is sooty?
LOL, google says you are correct.

Went to the bridge for diving today. The park was not crowded. High tide was at 10:23, sea temp at 78F with 79f showing on my computer for a few minutes. Visibility was in the 40ft-50ft range, nicer than yesterday. With no clouds in the sky, it made for exceptional diving today. Did a REEF fish count, 67 species in 60 minutes. But I digress, before I did the dive on scuba I snorkeled the trail. Within a minute of entering for the snorkel run, I happened upon a Manatee. I have seen lots of images of whales encrusted with barnacles, but I have never observed it on a Manatee. This one had at least 35% of the top of its body encrusted. Image and video attached further below. Given the nice visibility I stayed on the west side experimenting with lens setting on the sealife app for the iphone. In particular the telephoto setting and wide angle setting. The images of the Yellowfin Mojarras was taken at a distance of twenty feet. The wide angle of the wall/pilings I thought turned out nice given the limitations of an iphone underwater without strobes for fill. The high tide was at 10:23 and I took the wide angle shot at 11:20, and yeah it was still that blue an hour after high tide. With regards to the angelfish photo, after consultation the three of them agreed to line up in perfect formation for me to get the shot. Respectively, Manatee Barnacles, Angelfish in formation, wide angle, Yellowfin Mojarra, and Manatee Clip. A question for anybody who wants to answer, how many phones be it iphones or android have you found at BHB? I have found four in the last two years.

12-07-21 Manatee Barnacles.jpeg
12-07-21 Three Angel Fish.jpeg
12-07-21 Wide Angle.jpeg
12-07-21 Yellowfin Mojarra.jpeg

that manatee almost looks like it was sleeping! nice!!!!

Went to bridge for diving today. The park was not crowded. High tide was at 11:26, entered the water at 1025, and did not exit until 1305. Visibility improved from yesterday, in the 50-60ft range, what I call a wide angle day. Sea temperature still remains at 78F. Current was stronger than normal. Did a REEF fish count, 71 species in 60 minutes. Respectively Banner Goby, Blue Tang, Ghost Crab on the beach, Jack Crevalle, Spadefish, and wide angle on Hammerhead Shark Statue. For an idea on visibility, the third statue can be seen in silhouette from where I took the image, image taken 1.5 hours after high tide. Also note the distortion of the wide angle, look at the size of the cushion star compared to the caudal fin on the statue.

12-08-21 Banner Goby.jpeg
12-08-21 Blue Tang.jpeg
12-08-21 Ghost Crab.jpg
12-08-21 Jack Crevalle.jpeg
12-08-21 Spadefish.jpeg
12-08-21 Wide Angle Shark.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom