Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Recently, I came over something that looked like cup corals under the bridge. Wait a minute, I thought, they are from the Pacific! But yes, turns out they are invasive species in the Atlantic now. Well, I always liked them. So I decided I am OK with that.
Fun to feed them tiny pieces of scallops or shrimp too! Tubastrea are fascinating animals.

Are those orange cup corals protected from collection in the Atlantic? I'm not asking about around the bridge or in a sanctuary, but rather in general. I had no idea they were exotic.

Are those orange cup corals protected from collection in the Atlantic? I'm not asking about around the bridge or in a sanctuary, but rather in general. I had no idea they were exotic.
Read the page I gave the link to.

Tubastraea, or Sun Corals, are a non-photosynthetic variety of coral which require nearly constant feeding. T They are common at reef shops around the US.

Tubastraea, or Sun Corals, are a non-photosynthetic variety of coral which require nearly constant feeding. T They are common at reef shops around the US.
They have a lousy long term record in aquaria. It’s the feeding that’s the problem.

I've seen that odd small patch near the west side bridge too. Thought it was a redder color, maybe my photo or maybe it was something else. I never thought to share a piece of shrimp with it :) Fascinating!

Read the page I gave the link to.
Thanks, I did. I still don't know that collection of this hard coral is allowed. I am not too up on the rules, but I thought hard corals were off limits. Are these given a special pest designation, similar to lionfish?

Thanks, I did. I still don't know that collection of this hard coral is allowed. I am not too up on the rules, but I thought hard corals were off limits. Are these given a special pest designation, similar to lionfish?
I do not know. Suppose, every state has their own laws.

I am not certain but I think the answer is no. https://bugwoodcloud.org/mura/ECISMA/assets/File/summit18/2_Sharp_ECISMA 2018.pdf
It is not explicitly stated, but the linked information seems to imply that there is no pest status that allows just anybody to remove orange cup coral. I am speculating that FWC would not want unintended damage done to native species and/or substrate while the removal of Orange Cup Coral was done by none professionals, i.e. recreational scuba divers.

Went to the bridge today and did a dive. Visibility was 30ft, sea temp 78F, high tide was 0650. Entered at about 0710 (west side), even though the tide was outgoing visibility held up remarkably well. Didn't see any other divers underwater, but there were at least four other divers present this morning. Did a REEF fish count, 71 species in 60 minutes. Within five minutes of entering saw my first Black Sea Bass of the season, and then three smallish Eagle Rays. Close to when I was finishing the dive I saw the Eagle Rays again, and a school of approximately 300 Jack Crevalle. The Jack Crevalle were having a field day with Spanish Sardines, Scaled Sardines, Silversides and any other smaller fish that happened to get in their way, I am sure the baitfish felt like it was Armageddon. After the dive I snorkeled the trail, saw the Jack Crevalle again, and also observed some Hardhead Catfish, a first for me at the bridge. Respectively, Black Sea Bass, Jack Crevalle video, and screen grab from a video of the catfish, sorry for the very mediocre quality of Catfish image.
Black Sea Bass.jpeg

Hard Head Catfish2 (2).jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom