Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cool on the catfish. I saw one about a month ago near the end of a night dive.
Pretty cool, never seen one before.

I saw a catfish while waiting for the dive boat to take off at Jupiter. There was a school of mullets at the rocks, then a large school of juvenile snooks came in, chasing some sardines, and then an unmistakable catfish appeared.

Went to the bridge today and did a dive. Visibility was approximately 30ft, sea temperature 78F, and high tide was at 0725. Entered the water at 0725, and similar to yesterday, visibility held up quite well despite the outgoing tide. There were a few more divers than yesterday, but I did not see any other divers underwater on the westside. I did see the Crevalle Jack again, not as many as yesterday, and it didn't look like they were feeding. Did a REEF fish count, 66 species in 60 minutes. I snorkeled the trail after I did the dive, observed a Lookdown, and an Atlantic Bumper. I have seen pictures of Lookdowns at the bridge, but I have never seen one there before myself. Considering how much Lookdowns love to be around structures its surprising that they are not seen far more often, I believe it has to do with tolerance of water that is less than salty than seawater. Respectively, Crevalle Jack Video, Lookdown, Atlantic Bumper, and Juvenile Permit video. I know the Crevalle Jack video is redundant from yesterday, but it is different video, made me feel like I was in one of those big aquariums. Although I was filming Juvenile Permits today, the enclosed video is from a couple months ago because it is better. Also I did see a couple Hardhead Catfish again today.

Lookdown (2).jpg
11-18-2021 Atlantic Bumper.jpeg

Went to the bridge and did a dive today. Sea temperature remains at 78F, and high tide was @ 0805. Entered the water at 0725 today on the incoming tide, but visibility was 20ft when yesterday visibility on outgoing tide was 30 feet. Did a REEF fish count, 63 species in 60 minutes. Because I am not of an age that grew up with cell phones, I don't consider my cell phone an add on appendage to my body. As a result I occasionally forget to bring my cell phone with me when I leave the house. Currently I am using a Sealife Sportdiver that houses my phone for image taking. So, no fresh images today. As luck would have it, I didn't see anything out of the ordinary for BHB so I don't feel like I missed the greatest shot in the world. The two headed manatee will just have to wait until the next time I don't have a camera to show up. So with no fresh images I consulted the REEF database to ascertain how many species have been observed at the bridge year to date. For 375 surveys completed (all surveyors not just me), with 383 hours of survey time( not bottom time because some surveys are done on snorkel), 285 species have been observed this year. On my own I have observed 244 species year to date. Attached is an excel spreadsheet giving all the particulars, fish are ranked from most observed to least observed. #1 observed species are Porkfish. There are 45 species listed that have only been observed a single time. Far be it for me to say what anybody has seen or not seen (especially at Phil Foster), nevertheless, I have difficulty with wrapping my head around the sighting of a Warsaw Grouper. In fairness, I am sure others would have a hard time believing my observation of a pair of Wahoo.

Attachments

• Blue Heron Bridge Geographic Zone Report.xlsx
    31.4 KB · Views: 64
Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 0710 for an 0843 high tide. Seemed like the only individuals present were either divers or fisherman. Parking along the southside of the park was filled but all the center aisle parking spots were empty. I guess the early tide combined with rainy weather was enough to deter the majority of individuals that normally would have been there. Snorkeled the trail before and after diving. Entered the water for the diving at 0802, sea temp still at 78f, visibility has deteriorated since yesterday at only 15ft. Did a REEF fish count, 66 species in 60 minutes. Two weeks ago I found a pair of Shortfin Pipefish together, today I found three Shortfin Pipefish together. Also found a Lancer Dragonet, and a Barbfish, both of which decided to be very cooperative photographic subjects. Respectively, the group of Shortfin Pipefish, Lancer Dragonet, and Barbfish. Sorry, had one more fish that I wanted to post, so adding to the original post an Irish Pompano. Irish Pompano can be locally abundant but are very rarely observed at the bridge, according to the REEF database, 3 observations for every 1000 surveys submitted.

11-20-21 3Shortfin Pipefish.jpeg
11-20-21 Lancer Dragonet.jpeg

11-20-21 Barbfish.jpeg

11-20-31 Irish Pompano.jpeg

Went to the bridge this morning for a dive. However, the visibility test failed so the dive was aborted. Maybe tomorrow, though rain is supposed to continue today, so maybe not.

Went to the bridge this morning for a dive. However, the visibility test failed so the dive was aborted. Maybe tomorrow, though rain is supposed to continue today, so maybe not.
I wouldn't even bother driving because Magicseaweed gives 3-5 ft surf for Palm Beach today. It's a definite no go.

I wouldn't even bother driving because Magicseaweed gives 3-5 ft surf for Palm Beach today. It's a definite no go.
Granted that can be an indication sometimes, but its far from being perfectly correlated. Its a short drive for me, I'd rather check in person.

Went to the bridge for diving today. Visibility was better than Sunday, but still not great at about 10 feet. Sea temperature remains at 78F. Arrived at 0855 for a 1000 high tide, it was not very crowded, all center aisle parking was empty. Did a REEF fish count, 61 species in 55 minutes. Searched in vain for the Smooth Pufferfish observed and documented by Catito on a separate thread. Respectively, Leopard Searobin, Spotted Scorpionfish, Inshore Lizardfish, and Pygmy Filefish. For those wondering am I sure it is a Pygmy Filefish and not a Planehead Filefish, the answer is no. A lot of debate lately over the differences or lack thereof in pygmy, planehead, fringed, and slender filefish. On Tropical Western Atlantic REEF surveys, you can select to group them together as a "complex" similar to what was done with Bridled Gobies.
11-22-21 Leopard Sea Robin.jpg
11-22-21 Spotted Scorpionfish.jpg
11-22-21.jpg
11-22-21 Pygmy Filefish.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom