Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Location of lionfish.. just in case someone with less scruples than I were to take that chance and eridicate them...:wink:
When you get to the pillars of the boat canal barrier, look up the crack in the "doubled" pillar.

Yup, small one seen under the east bridge last week About in the middle as you enter from the beach side. Good luck.

When you get to the pillars of the boat canal barrier, look up the crack in the "doubled" pillar.
Not sure if this is the same individual, located on the west channel barrier, south most piling.

11-06-21 Lionfish.jpeg

quite the interesting stripe pattern..
assuming it's not very large? Still will make a nice snack for a fish if prepared properly.. :wink:

Went diving at the bridge today. Arrived at 0745 for a 1000 tide, though it was not necessary to arrive that early, weather being similar to yesterday, not many people there. Tide was unusually high, washing over the top of seawall on west side close to the pier, and washing over the foundations of the bridge columns along the beach. Since it was breezy and cool it felt much warmer in the water then out of the water. Did a REEF fish count 62 species in 60 minutes. Respectively, Orange Filefish, Shortfin Pipefish (pair), Shortfin Pipefish (dark), Shortfin Pipefish (light), and Banded Blenny. Orange Filefish is one of my favorites, imo they have a very prehistoric look to them. Normally they are somewhat shy, and it is sometimes difficult to get a profile shot. However, this one swam a bit away from me, and then turned full profile like it was posing (perhaps because I was on snorkel at the time). Shortfin Pipefish are the most commonly found species of Pipefish at the bridge. Normally they are in the darker phase, not sure if I have ever seen a lighter phase one, and not sure if I have seen a pair together like this. Finally, the Banded Blenny another favorite, I believe they are relatively common but rarely seen due to excellent camouflage. Note the flattened out paddle like cirri perpendicular to the body on the nape, notice a divot in dorsal fin not far from the head, and it is difficult to make out but there is very small blue ocellated spot not far from the end and base of dorsal fin.
11-06-21 Orange Filefish.jpg
11-06-21 Shorfin Pipefish(1a1).jpeg
11-06-21 Shorfin Pipefish(a).jpeg
11-06-21 Shorfin Pipefish(b).jpeg
11-06-21 Z Banded Blenny.jpeg

Looks vis was ok thinking of going tomorrow

What was the water temp?
Thanks.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom