Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Funny, I took Reef Fish ID in 2013 at JDC with Paul Humann. It was a great course, still have my old, worn copy of Fish ID, Florida, Caribbean, and Bahamas, signed by Paul, "Best Fishes". I thought I might become a Reef Surveyor. Turns out the activity was just not for me, takes a special person to become a dedicated Reef surveyor.

Best fishes...

I hear you! I love the REEF books and the DVD helped me learn the basics. But I just could never get into doing surveys. The process just doesn't "click" with my diving. Many kudos to those that do it! When I dive I'm an underwater tourist similar to how I hike and enjoy time in nature. I don't like having too much to do as it interferes with my "zen". I just love to relax and soak in nature. This is also why I delayed getting a camera for so long and why all I use is a simple, low tech GoPro. I don't want too much to have to fixate upon.

I'll change the subject, if you guys do not mind. Did anyone here do the night dive under the bridge? What's cool about it? If I do it, shall I go west or east?
I prefer the west side if only because it's usually not as crowded.
This makes sense to me & I think that this SHOULD be the case, but this is the first time I have come across this statement. Can you please point me to someplace I can find this policy in writing? If I have a little paperwork to back me up, I'll be glad to do my part to keep those destructive little critters from infesting that spot.
A few years old, but a quickie seach got me this:

I prefer the west side if only because it's usually not as crowded.

A few years old, but a quickie seach got me this:
The facebook thing would not load for me, but thank you for posting.

It said this....
"A recreational fishing license is not required for targeting lionfish while using a pole spear, Hawaiian Sling, handheld net or any spearing device that is specifically designed for lionfish. *However* spears may not be used within 100 yards of a public swimming beach, any commercial or public fishing pier, or any part of a bridge from which public fishing is allowed. Spears may also not be used in any body of water under the jurisdiction of the Department of Environmental Protection or Division of Recreation and Parks (Florida Park Service). Possession of spearfishing equipment is prohibited in these areas. ***In other words, spears are NOT allowed at BHB.*** Harvest by hand-held nets is allowed but exercise caution when doing so!"

Went to the bridge for scuba diving today. The weather and relatively early tide (09:02) on a weekday kept the amount of people at Phil Foster to a minimum. Temperature has dropped since last week, now at 80F. Visibility was still holding up at about 20-25Ft. Did a REEF fish count, 62 species in 55 minutes. Respectively, Corkscrew Anemone, Florida Hamlet, Redfin Needlefish, Silver Jenny, and Yellow Goatfish. Most of the time only the tentacles of the Corkscrew Anemone are visible and the body hidden, I think because of the low light conditions today it was more out in the open. Florida Hamlet has been separated out to a different species than the Barred Hamlet, distinguishing characteristics are the two dots on the end of caudal peduncle, and the very wide midbody bar. Been trying to get decent images of the Redfin Needlefish for a while now (not that these are very good), they like to inhabit very shallow water tough to photograph them in sunny weather because of the light reflection off the sand and surface of water obscures the "redfins". Differentiating the Flagfin Mojarras, Mottled Mojarras and Silver Jennys can be difficult. The body of Silver Jenny is much deeper than the others. Yellow Goatfish is included, though they are common on reefs, I rarely see them at the bridge.

11-05-21 Anemone.jpeg
11-05-21 Florida Hamlet.jpeg
11-05-21 Redfin Needlefish (2).jpg
11-05-21 Silver Jenny.jpeg
11-05-21 Yellow Goatfish.jpg

... Redfin Needlefish ...

View attachment 689884

In the past, I have found some people who call those needle fish & others that identify them as juvenile houndfish. Personally, I don't know the difference, or even if there is one.

When they are 3-feet long, I consistently hear fishermen call them hound fish. I don't know what the deal is with the little ones.

In the past, I have found some people who call those needle fish & others that identify them as juvenile houndfish. Personally, I don't know the difference, or even if there is one.

When they are 3-feet long, I consistently hear fishermen call them hound fish. I don't know what the deal is with the little ones.
Indeed needlefish species can be hard to differentiate. I had no idea the Redfin Needlefish were a separate species until I saw a picture somebody else took at Phil Foster. Once I saw the picture I went looking and sure enough there they were with red fins. The color is flat on the image I posted but the dorsal, anal, caudal fin do have a reddish tint.

Year, I was alone at the western span today. Haven't seen any other divers underwater or when I got out. A rare occasion indeed. Saw from afar some divers at the eastern span, though. Nothing too exciting underwater, all the usual suspects. And a couple of small Lionfish.

Location of lionfish.. just in case someone with less scruples than I were to take that chance and eridicate them...:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom