Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Decided last minute to hit up the bridge today. Vis was poor (5ft with the occasional 10ft) but I was looking for tiny urchin shrimp today so it worked out. I think most of the dive was around 77°F however after the tide turned it was 73°F.

Here are a few shots:

Very nice Tim!
Sorry to hear the vis is back down again...
Looked super hard for those in the urchin fields before the slope but they were squat lobster free.....

Educational Note:

Please do not remove old bottles out of the water. I have noticed divers removing them out of the water during clean ups. I'm confused on why it's done or why dive shops allow it. I'm not sure on the purpose of it either. Many of these old bottles serve an important part in the lives of fish, octopus, crabs etc... They are used for temporary homes, lay eggs, hide from predators, mating etc... The Blue Heron Bridge is considered "muck" diving. The bridge has sunken boats, pipes, bike parts, shopping carts, etc... This is what makes the bridge so amazing. So please leave things alone in the water. If it's not a danger to marine life or people PLEASE do not remove.

***I'm not writing this to get anyone or dive shop upset. Just something to think about before removing an old bottle from the water..***

We tried the bridge last night and vis was a green 3 feet, though water was flat and high tide coming in....
Not looking promising for night dive from either shop

yuk.. and it's gonna be a blowing this weekend. am gonna take a gander that the vis might be even less...

OTOH.. I do remember a time before the hurricanes and the park getting fixed up that 10ft. vis was considered pretty good.. and there was a lot of trash back then. Divers have been pretty good at cleaning it up..

Please do not remove old bottles out of the water. I have noticed divers removing them out of the water during clean ups. I'm confused on why it's done or why dive shops allow it.
It's done because otherwise the park would look like a landfill. If a bottle isn't occupied then it's better to remove it.

On another note...trying to get a parking spot the last couple of weekends reminds me why I stopped diving there!

It's done because otherwise the park would look like a landfill. If a bottle isn't occupied then it's better to remove it.

On another note...trying to get a parking spot the last couple of weekends reminds me why I stopped diving there!

That's it! Next time I am letting this Manatee chew your leg off! :wink:
12646747_1134520863235142_7317101668286522971_o.jpg

I understand what you are saying. I think the challenge is folks are picking up real trash, like grocery bags, and fishing line, and not realizing the intact glass bottle is actually an occasional home to a juvenile octopus, crab or blenny. And yes it is crazy on the weekends, which is why I try to make it during the week.
12240398_1101714703182425_486431832361408132_o.jpg

Big shout out to the scuba shop at the bridge. Floyd came over after the dive yesterday morning and personally invited each to coffee and donuts (free) at the shop. He also has camera and gear rinse buckets AND a hot water shower!

We were one of the first divers at the bridge yesterday morning. A few more crazies showed up to prove we were not alone! LOL Went east. Vis was about 15ft max. Only made it 90 minutes as my buddy got really cold. My computer read 70° and his said 73° which felt warm at first only because the air was so cold!
Getting out was a feat in how quickly a frozen body can strip of a wetsuit and get into dry clothes. Hot tea helped afterwards to warm the insides.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom