Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMO, Instructors with students show up very early because they need a guaranteed parking, and since they pretty much stick to the area opposite the beach they don't really depend on the tide schedule.

Went to the bridge for diving this past Friday and Saturday. It was crowded on Friday, and ridiculously crowded on Saturday. Vis on Friday was 25ft, vis on Saturday was 15ft. Sea temp was the same both days at 76f. I try to avoid the bridge on weekends and head down to LBTS instead. However, with the wind blowing 15-20kt out of the east, LBTS would not be feasible. So the bridge was the only realistic choice.

As many readers here know, I like to upload photographic observations to inaturalist.com. There are several projects of keen interest to me. Blue Heron Bridge Project, Mollusks of Florida, Reefs Of South FLorida, and Reef Fish of the Caribbean. Occasionally there are contests on Inat for uploading as many species in a specific area in a specific time frame. From 4/26 to 4/29 there is the following City Nature Challenge . The vast majority of observations being made are terrestrial, probably 97%, my contributions are mostly of aquatic observations. As I write the species count total for the South Florida area is 2300+

I normally take 40-50 exposures in a two hour plus dive at the bridge. Even for a hard to find or rare subject I try to limit the amount of time I spend looming over a fish or creature with my camera. Lately I have not been using flash, just a video light. Video lights do not necessarily attract attention of other photographers, and IMHO they are less obtrusive on the subjects than strobes. On Friday and Saturday I took more than 100 exposures, because of the CNCSOFLO. I still did REEF surveys on both days.

I have uploaded about 120 observations at this point. Going to the bridge today to get some more. What I find most interesting is the amount of species obtained accidentally, i.e. not the main subject. There are always hydroids, sponges, and alga in the background. An image of a mollusk in the sand, reveals two other mollusks in the sand next to it. These species go largely taken for granted, compared to moving animal species, in much the same way we take bushes and trees for granted as we move through our terrestrial world. A few of the uploaded observations below, respectively Blue Angelfish, Crown Cone(new observation for me), Regal Demoiselle (invasive), Southern Puffer, and Spotted Trunk.

04-26-24  Blue Angelfish.jpg
04-26-24  Crown Cone.jpg
04-26-24  Regal Demoiselle.jpg
04-26-24  Southern Puffer.jpg
04-26-24  Spotted Trunkfish.jpg

Went to the bridge for diving this past Friday and Saturday. It was crowded on Friday, and ridiculously crowded on Saturday.
Looking at the wave models this past weekend, not surprised BHB was mobbed!

I am getting an extra measure of enjoyment out of dive reports and photos as I will be dry for ~ another 2 months before I am cleared to dive. Thanks again!

I was going to go Saturday but my ears were still messed up from the previous weekend. It took until today to feel back to normal. If it was crazy, then I'm kinda glad I skipped it.

Lauderdale by the Sea ... another very popular, but less protected, shore dive site in South Florirda.

Thank you. I guess I need to look it up and read about it. Add to the list of potential shore dives to visit if and when, I go to FL for diving (hopefully in my lifetime while I still can dive).

Looks like that puffer was trying to stare you down! What did you do to arouse his ire? 😉
Didn’t know the Regal Demoiselle was an invasive. What is their natural range? 🤔
Your Phiend the ‘Phibian 🐸

IMO, Instructors with students show up very early because they need a guaranteed parking, and since they pretty much stick to the area opposite the beach they don't really depend on the tide schedule.
They also do multiple dives in a single session to get certified.
And ya wonder why there are so many bad divers at the bridge???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom