Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Went to the bridge for diving on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. To avoid the crowd, I went to LBTS Saturday and today, but that will be in a different report. Wednesday, and Thursday were not too crowded Friday a lot of people were there. For whatever reason I still managed to only encounter a few individual divers underwater. All three days viz was in 25ft-35ft range, with sea temp the same at 79F.

The rest of the week progressed much like Monday and Tuesday, with very unusual observations each and every day. The Magnificent Sea Urchin was still around on Wednesday but was not to be seen again Thursday, and Friday. On Wednesday the unusual find was the Sea Cucumber pictured below. I have no idea what species it might be, and cannot find images that match it on Inaturalist or any of the field guides I own.
05-08-24 Sea Cucumber.jpg

Funny that @Scuba_Jenny should mention Atlantic Guitarfish in regards to them being more common than Magnificent Sea Urchins. I have seen Magnificent Sea Urchins 3 times in thirty years. I have seen Atlantic Guitarfish 18 times in 4600 surveys over thirty years. So yeah Atlantic Guitarfish are more common, than Magnificent Sea Urchins, but still rarely seen (At least by me). I observed an Atlantic Guitarfish on Wednesday. First one at BHB. Image below.
05-08-24 Atlantic Guitarfish.jpg

On Thursday observed a large specimen of a Queens Helmet aka Empreror Helmet. The REEF Survey slate is 9x6 inches, it gives a good indication of the size of the Queen's Helmet, image below. These are more common than both Magnificent Sea Urchins, and Guitarfish, image below.
05-09-24 Queens Helmet.jpg

On Friday observed a large specimen of a King Helmet, being inspected by a prospective Hermit Crab home hunter. I could not see the mantle of the King Helmet, so there is a possibly if was just retracted deep within the shell. An intact King Helmet even though it is a large shell does not work well for Hermit Crabs, because the aperture is vary narrow relative to the shell size. Ironically, the shell that the Hermit Crab had on its back looked to be a very old and beaten up King or Queen Helmet, so much so that the crab had no problem occupying it. Image below,
05-10-24- King Helmet.jpg

Lastly, as if after finding the Magnificent Sea Urchin, the Box Crab I could not identify, the Squat Lobster I could not identify, the tunicates I could not identify, the beautiful Pink and White Dwarf Frogfish, half a dozen Striated Frogfish during the week, half a dozen Seahorses during the week, a couple dozen nudibranchs, the Atlantic Guitarfish, the Helmet snails, the Sea Cucumber I could not identify, were not enough BHB had one more last delightful treasure of an Arthropod species to give up. Pictured below is a Lentil Sea Spider. Oriented with the head up, the image does not do it justice so I have attached a video as well. I was shooting video through a super macro lens, so difficult to keep focus, but you can still get a good idea of this amazing animal. Peace out.
05-10-24 Lentil Sea Spider3.jpg

Went to the bridge for diving on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. To avoid the crowd, I went to LBTS Saturday and today, but that will be in a different report. Wednesday, and Thursday were not too crowded Friday a lot of people were there. For whatever reason I still managed to only encounter a few individual divers underwater. All three days viz was in 25ft-35ft range, with sea temp the same at 79F.

The rest of the week progressed much like Monday and Tuesday, with very unusual observations each and every day. The Magnificent Sea Urchin was still around on Wednesday but was not to be seen again Thursday, and Friday. On Wednesday the unusual find was the Sea Cucumber pictured below. I have no idea what species it might be, and cannot find images that match it on Inaturalist or any of the field guides I own.
View attachment 840976
Funny that @Scuba_Jenny should mention Atlantic Guitarfish in regards to them being more common than Magnificent Sea Urchins. I have seen Magnificent Sea Urchins 3 times in thirty years. I have seen Atlantic Guitarfish 18 times in 4600 surveys over thirty years. So yeah Atlantic Guitarfish are more common, than Magnificent Sea Urchins, but still rarely seen (At least by me). I observed an Atlantic Guitarfish on Wednesday. First one at BHB. Image below.
View attachment 840977

On Thursday observed a large specimen of a Queens Helmet aka Empreror Helmet. The REEF Survey slate is 9x6 inches, it gives a good indication of the size of the Queen's Helmet, image below. These are more common than both Magnificent Sea Urchins, and Guitarfish, image below.View attachment 840978
On Friday observed a large specimen of a King Helmet, being inspected by a prospective Hermit Crab home hunter. I could not see the mantle of the King Helmet, so there is a possibly if was just retracted deep within the shell. An intact King Helmet even though it is a large shell does not work well for Hermit Crabs, because the aperture is vary narrow relative to the shell size. Ironically, the shell that the Hermit Crab had on its back looked to be a very old and beaten up King or Queen Helmet, so much so that the crab had no problem occupying it. Image below,
View attachment 840981
Lastly, as if after finding the Magnificent Sea Urchin, the Box Crab I could not identify, the Squat Lobster I could not identify, the tunicates I could not identify, the beautiful Pink and White Dwarf Frogfish, half a dozen Striated Frogfish during the week, half a dozen Seahorses during the week, a couple dozen nudibranchs, the Atlantic Guitarfish, the Helmet snails, the Sea Cucumber I could not identify, were not enough BHB had one more last delightful treasure of an Arthropod species to give up. Pictured below is a Lentil Sea Spider. Oriented with the head up, the image does not do it justice so I have attached a video as well. I was shooting video through a super macro lens, so difficult to keep focus, but you can still get a good idea of this amazing animal. Peace out.
View attachment 840982

Great stuff. Thanks for sharing.

...Funny that @Scuba_Jenny should mention Atlantic Guitarfish in regards to them being more common than Magnificent Sea Urchins. I have seen Magnificent Sea Urchins 3 times in thirty years. I have seen Atlantic Guitarfish 18 times in 4600 surveys over thirty years. So yeah Atlantic Guitarfish are more common, than Magnificent Sea Urchins, but still rarely seen (At least by me). I observed an Atlantic Guitarfish on Wednesday. First one at BHB. Image below.
View attachment 840977

Somebody on my boat caught a Guitar fish like that a few months ago. It was the first one I had ever seen. It was probably close to 2 feet long. It was promptly released unharmed, as I believed it to be a rare species.

The sea spider-- I'd put about as common as a guitarfish!

A magnificent urchin shot a few years ago.. Photo does not do it justice
1715595842556.png

Was looking around my old FB photos for a guitarfish, but only got a lot of memories!
Was snorkeling off Hollywood beach last summer. We were over sand and my buddy exclaims she sees a jack.. totally missed the guitarfish it was fishing with!

Great stuff, Pipehorse. I remember being told about the sea spiders about 50 years ago in Invertebrate Marine Zoology class. IIRC, we didn’t actually have a specimen in the collection and were told they were pretty rare. I believe they were classified in the family Pycnogonidae(?)

That’s super-cool! I thought sea spiders were only found in deep water (beyond recreational limits).

Today I learned.

We had a great week of diving the bridge, plus black water dive with PVD. We saw a guitar fish, nurse shark and a very large Southern Atlantic ray but were focused on the small stuff. As Pipehorse noted, there were lots of seahorses and frog fish. Some pics:

Attachments

• JH_07012.jpg
    JH_07012.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 16
  • JH_07606-Edit.jpg
    JH_07606-Edit.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 15
  • JH_07400.jpg
    JH_07400.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 16
  • JH_07354.jpg
    JH_07354.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 21
  • JH_07671-Edit.jpg
    JH_07671-Edit.jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 16
Keep in mind we're talking about a 50+ year old amphibian memory, but I too thought I recalled hearing that they were only found in deep water.

Just trolled the InterWeb a bit, and it seems that the vast majority of them are indeed benthic, more than all the other species combined. I need to get into some real scientific books to find out more.

🐸

I’ve been retired too *@#*& long. Now I’ve got to figure out the electronic card catalog at my old college/place of employment.🤪

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom