Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dived today at BHB. Vis OK, just good to be diving (working a lot so my time underwater is extremely limited). Started pretty sucky when I dropped down and saw water inside the camera housing. run it back to the car. Probably killed it. Rest of dive though pretty cool, 3 spotted eagle rays, batfish, and all the regulars.
Parking lot filled up fast. Got there early and in a half hours time, the lot filled up! Like everybody decided to show up at the same time.

Dived today at BHB. Vis OK, just good to be diving (working a lot so my time underwater is extremely limited). Started pretty sucky when I dropped down and saw water inside the camera housing. run it back to the car. Probably killed it. Rest of dive though pretty cool, 3 spotted eagle rays, batfish, and all the regulars.
Parking lot filled up fast. Got there early and in a half hours time, the lot filled up! Like everybody decided to show up at the same time.

If it is an expensive camera don't turn it on/put power on it. Rice is a myth and won't help internal corrosion even with just regular water rather than sea water. Maybe you can find a local professional who can ultrasonic the boards. If its not expensive and water got in, open it up and try and swab the areas that have corrosion with rubbing alc.

Heading down to BHB from Colorado at the end of January and wanted to know if the chances of finding a dive buddy at the bridge are good most days? I'll be traveling solo so no buddies to dive with. I guess paying a guide isn't out of the question just trying to save some cash if I can. Thanks

(Disclaimer: I am a guide)
spend the money and get a guide. Yes, you can do it alone, and might have a decent dive. However, you will miss a lot of cool stuff, and might end up in missing a lot of stuff due to not knowing the area.

Heading down to BHB from Colorado at the end of January and wanted to know if the chances of finding a dive buddy at the bridge are good most days? I'll be traveling solo so no buddies to dive with. I guess paying a guide isn't out of the question just trying to save some cash if I can. Thanks

I wouldn't say it's strictly necessary as there are maps online that point out specific areas, i've highlighted my favs in green. if your a reasonable navigator you should be good to go. Check out force-e's night dive schedule if you are interested (although I'd always recommend a buddy for night dives but there's tons of people that I'm sure wouldn't mind if you tagged along)
BlueHeronMap11.jpg
BlueHeronMap11.jpg BlueHeronMap11.jpg

I have dived the bridge many times, yet if I could schedule it I would hire a guide.

Often when my family is with me someone will come over and ask if they could tag along as not to be diving solo, never was a problem.

I have hired two guides and wasn't impressed with either. Neither really pointed out stuff I couldn't find on my own. It's a pretty easy to dive on your own. I see lots of folks dive solo there. And I keep losing my buddy anyway. You might hire someone the first time just to get the lay of the land.

Lots of people hire guides. My wife is a guide and working today at BHB and many other days! The first 2 visits to the bridge--dives east and west--it would be good to go with a guide. Check out Blue Heron Bridge Dive Guide on Facebook. Pura Vida and Force E dive shops both do guides. A good guide will find stuff you may never find on your own!

Solo diving is no problem at the bridge. There will not be anyone to supervise you. Often if you ask other divers they won't mind you hanging out with them. But, I would suggest hiring a guide for other reasons.

You don't need a guide to navigate the area. The site is easy to navigate around. Rather, the point of a guide is that they dive there regularly, sometimes several days per week, and they know the current location of the best critters. There is no substitute for this. You can arrive and dive "cold" and dive for days and not still not spot the frogfish, seahorses, pipefish, rare blennies and other great things. The guides ought to know where to find them.

You can, to be sure, have a great dive without a guide. You also might get lucky and happen upon the good critters. But, since you are coming from a such a long way it is worth the small extra cost to get the best possible dive. I dive the bridge every other month. The times I went with a guide (friends) I have seen WAY more than on my own. I can recommend two guides (Jenny and Carol Woodward). PM me if you want contact info. Whoever you choose (either them or someone else if you go though a shop) ask how recently and how often in the last couple weeks they have been there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom