Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just saw on a Florida shore diving group on Facebook that there was a SAILFISH sighting today at BHB! Crazy!! Did anyone see it?
Sailfish occasionally enter the ICW. Usually they are following a bait pod. I know of one instance where a pair of sailfish entered together & were sighted less than a mile from BHB. This sighting was more than 10 years ago. It's not common to see them on the inside, but it does happen.

Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 0735 for a 1036 high tide, and was surprised at the amount of cars already there, The eastern most spaces all taken. I prefer to park on the westside anyway, so they can have those spaces. Really, do people get there during dark just so they don't have to walk an extra 100 yards? Funny thing is, I entered the water at 0800 to snorkel, there wasn't a single other soul in the water, visibility was already 40feet by that time. By the time I returned from snorkeling at 0845 the parking lot was filled. Also because of the way they put the fence up next to the eastern bridge abutment, it has become a path for many people to access the beach instead of walking across the street. Immediately after snorkeling entered the water on scuba. Sea temp 78-79f, visibility 45ft. Did a REEF Survey while snorkeling, and a REEF survey while diving. Except for the swim east to exit, spent the whole dive on the westside. While the beach closure under the bridge does not seem to have deterred divers in general, it has deterred many divers from doing the westside. It seems to have deterred beachgoers, i.e. when returning from the dive the parking lot was 70% capacity from divers leaving, and did not seem to be filling up. It has definitely put a dent in the number of people with paddleboards. Traffic wise, both westbound lanes are shut now, and one lane in each direction of the east bound lanes. They did manage to have a small left hand turn lane into the park, and also seems that vehicles pulling boat trailers are able to make the radius and pull out in a timely manner. I have noticed when leaving that the eastbound traffic is backing all the way up to Broadway. And westbound traffic backs up all the way to the curve where Pura Vida Dive Shop is located. However, when going west the traffic does not back up like it normally does between the bridge and Broadway, because the backup is on the eastside of the bridge instead. @Divin'Papaw I did not see or hear about the Sailfish sighting until you mentioned it here. However the visibility was excellent today and the current was running pretty good, I have seen a Blacktip Shark at BHB, and a pair of Wahoo at BHB. I know there was a Great Hammerhead sighting last October as well, but still a Sailfish, holy moly Batman! and I thought my sighting of the Moustache Jawfish was cool. Respectively, Barracuda, Brassy Chub, Neck Crab Sporting Algae Disguise, Panulirus argus, and Pearly Razor.
04-08-23 Barracuda.jpeg
04-08-23 Brassy Chub.jpeg
04-08-23 Neck Crab.jpeg
04-08-23 Panulirus argus.jpeg
04-08-23 Pearly Razor.jpeg

I did not see or hear about the Sailfish sighting until you mentioned it here. However the visibility was excellent today and the current was running pretty good, I have seen a Blacktip Shark at BHB, and a pair of Wahoo at BHB. I know there was a Great Hammerhead sighting last October as well, but still a Sailfish, holy moly Batman! and I thought my sighting of the Moustache Jawfish was cool.

There is an awesome video making the rounds on Book of Faces. As you said, the viz looked stellar! It appeared to be just south of the east span. It was a good size one too! Amazing!!

I dove 4 days in a row a couple weeks ago. Here are some photos
froggie, heasheild slug that looks like it is sporting a tattoo, bottom of sailboat, juvie porkfish

Attachments

• 1359 09 porkfish.jpg
    1359 09 porkfish.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 1359 04 sailboat.jpg
    1359 04 sailboat.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 1358 05 headshield slug.jpg
    1358 05 headshield slug.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 1358 02 froggie.jpg
    1358 02 froggie.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 60
Green sea turtle, "strong arm" urchin, rusty goby, seahorse

Attachments

• 1360 01 greenie.jpg
    1360 01 greenie.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 1360 05 strongarm.jpg
    1360 05 strongarm.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 1360 10 rusty goby.jpg
    1360 10 rusty goby.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 1360 13 seahorse.jpg
    1360 13 seahorse.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 54
Spotted eagle ray, green sea turtle, another greenie juvie a little bit smaller, froggie, butter hamlet

Attachments

• 1361 13 butter hamlet.jpg
    1361 13 butter hamlet.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 43
  • 1361 11 froggie.jpg
    1361 11 froggie.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 1361 05 turtle 02.jpg
    1361 05 turtle 02.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 1361 03 turtle.jpg
    1361 03 turtle.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 1361 02 spotted eagle ray.jpg
    1361 02 spotted eagle ray.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 38
Orangeback bass, tow spot cardinalfish (?), pipehorse!!!!

Attachments

• 1362 05 orangeback bass.jpg
    1362 05 orangeback bass.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 1362 08 cardnilfish.jpg
    1362 08 cardnilfish.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 52
  • 1362 09 pipehorse.jpg
    1362 09 pipehorse.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 43
Went to the bridge for diving today. Arrived at 0800 for a 1104 high tide, there were a few less people than yesterday. Perhaps because it was Easter Sunday or because of the overcast skies. Parked on the westside and went snorkeling on the trail at 0830. Did a REEF survey of 54 species in 45 minutes while snorkeling. exited the snorkeling on the westside by doing an end around on the fence next to the pier. Returned to my truck (parking lot was almost filled). Entered the westside at 0920 on scuba, did a REEF survey of 65 species in 65 minutes. Sea temp at 78f, visibility 40ft.The only time I encountered other divers was 3 minutes before exiting on the east between the fence and bridge abutment. The whole time I was in the water boat traffic was minimal for a Sunday. Having searched in vain for the Moustache Jawfish, I did what I always do when I need a pick me up at the bridge, I went and interacted with the Spadefish. Said Spadefish always obliging to the interaction. I never really understand while people don't pay more attention. Hopefully, now that the Easter Sunday has come and gone, the ludicrous amount of people (even on a weekday) at the park will subside. Respectively, Barbfish, Spadefish, Spadefish, Striated Frogfish, and Yellow Stingray. @PBcatfish Brassy Chub
04-09-23 Barbfish1.jpeg
04-09-23 Spadefish1.jpeg
04-09-23 Spadefish2.jpeg
04-09-23 Striated Frogfish.jpeg
04-09-23 Yellow Sting1.jpeg

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom