Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

$20 says that BHB doesn't see a lot of dive traffic this Sunday.

You did not mention te octopus behind the Golden Coral Shrimp.
LOL... If I could count the times we were surprised when looking at the photos ... wow.. what's that.
Amazing.. The Octopus photo bomb :wink:

I would consider going if I didn't already have plans.. LOL. one is maybe kayaking to Peanut Island!

I would consider going if I didn't already have plans.. LOL. one is maybe kayaking to Peanut Island!
My yak is staying in the garage for the next couple of days. Right now, I'm registering winds over 30 knots & the temperature forecast dips down below 40F.

You did not mention te octopus behind the Golden Coral Shrimp.
Thanks for the kind words @scubadada. You also take care and I hope to see you again on one of your upcoming Florida visits.

@Brant Emery, please read my initial post where the caption for that photograph reads, “an Octopus peering out of its den at, clockwise from the bottom left, a Bridled Goby, Red-Stripe Hermit, Golden Coral Shrimp, and Slate Pencil Urchin.”

As @Jaan noted, there are occasions when an unexpected visitor clandestinely inserts him or herself into a carefully composed frame. In this case I was fully aware of the octopus, hermit, urchin, and shrimp, and was concentrating on their juxtaposition while making this image. What I was unaware of at the time was the arrival of the goby.

My yak is staying in the garage for the next couple of days. Right now, I'm registering winds over 30 knots & the temperature forecast dips down below 40F.
Drat. plans changed. I'm not opposed to kayaking, but being out in the open wind is another story...

Made my way the the bridge in plenty of time for yesterday’s 3:24 PM high tide. Aside from one good old friend of mine, there were very few divers, fishermen, or other folks at the park. Got in the water around 2:00 and enjoyed a 2 1/2 hour dive. Visibility was about 20’ with a fair amount of particulate in the water column, a very slight current on the incoming and outgoing tides, and water temperature of 75°. Every time I felt a bit chilly and contemplated ending the dive, I’d come across something of interest and become oblivious to any discomfort.

I didn’t encounter anything that I’d never seen before, but found plenty of critters to keep me amused, interested, and engaged. I’ve not posted many of my photographs for a number of years, but figured that I’de share a few today.

Earlier in the day I paid a visit to a county park near my home and played with one of my old cameras in the hopes of finding some of our resident Blue-crowned Parakeets.

From top to bottom, one of the aforementioned Parakeets, Lined Seahorse, Bandtail Puffer, Polka-dot Batfish, Plumed Scorpionfish, an Octopus peering out of its den at, clockwise from the bottom left, a Bridled Goby, Red-Stripe Hermit, Golden Coral Shrimp, and Slate Pencil Urchin, and in what was a spectacular display of competition, a half dozen Giant Hermit Crabs tussled and clambered over the rights to occupy one of the Triton shells that @Pipehorse mentioned in his earlier posts. The fact that the shell was already occupied by one of their cousins did not deter the other 6 individuals in their attempts to requisition the much desired lodging.
It is amazing how much life is in that one pic of the octopus! I would not have seen the hermit, had you not pointed it out. Well done and Great photo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom