Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last weekend when I did that morning dive, my buddy saw a large stingray. I never saw it, whatever..
Well, he was going through his photos and misidentified it.. Was a Manta!!!!!!!!!!!!!
His first sighting. How cool is that???

A nurse shark hiding by BHB-East. I do not know how common they are there but this was the 1st time we saw one.
IF I see a shark at the bridge, they are usually under the sailboat on the east side. Haven't seen one in a long time. But then, I don't usually go east.

IF I see a shark at the bridge, they are usually under the sailboat on the east side. Haven't seen one in a long time. But then, I don't usually go east.
This one was hiding behind large metal boxes, dumped under the old boat piers S of the E bridge.

florida3.jpg

This was a juvinille batfish from last week. Barely the size of my palm. @bmorescuba , I think my husband and I talked to you couple of times while gearing up:)

Wow! A week old batfish baby is already about the size of your palm?

Lol. Bad grammar! I should have stated that this photo of juvenile batfish was taken last week. We were so lucky to find three separate batfish at BHB.

Lol. Bad grammar! I should have stated that this photo of juvenile batfish was taken last week. We were so lucky to find three separate batfish at BHB.

LOL. I read it too fast too. Lucky you to see three of them there.

I have been really wanting to dive again, so I came down to south Florida. I am in Riviera Beach now, but, unfortunately, all boat diving is cancelled for the week because of the weather/winds. I have never been diving at Blue Heron Bridge, so rather than sit in the hotel or go home early, I'm diving the bridge with a guide for 7 days. Based on the reviews here on the boards, it did not disappoint. Nov. 1, the visibility was about 20 ft, water temp was 84 degrees. Nov. 2, the visibility was about 15 ft, water temp was 79 degrees. The diversity of critters is really nice! I took some pics of a few critters I couldn't identify, so maybe some of you know what these are. Take note that I'm not a pro photographer :)

Is this a jawfish or a blenny? Something else?
BHB Critter.jpg

This looks like it might be a balloon fish or a puffer fish species. I've never seen it before.
BHB Critter3.jpg

This is a little hard to make out, but it was just sitting on the sand not moving. It had spines like an urchin, and the ball-shaped body was black, about 8 inches in diameter. Never seen this before either.
BHB Critter2.jpg

2-ft long cucumber
Cucumber-2.JPG

Three different batfish over 2 days.
Batfish-1.JPG

Starfish and another fish I.D. that I don't know just to the right of the starfish. The next pic has a better shot of this little fish.
Starfish+Fish.JPG

Anyone know what this fish is?
Mystery Fish.jpg

I call this a studded starfish!!
Studded Starfish.JPG

Arrow crab and juvenile drum. The drum was about 2 in. big
Aerocrab+juvenile drum.jpg

And the highlight of my day....an eagle ray flying by just at the 15 ft edge of visibility and the closest I've ever gotten to an eagle ray!
Eagle Ray-1.JPG

I have been really wanting to dive again, so I came down to south Florida. I am in Riviera Beach now, but, unfortunately, all boat diving is cancelled for the week because of the weather/winds. I have never been diving at Blue Heron Bridge, so rather than sit in the hotel or go home early, I'm diving the bridge with a guide for 7 days. Based on the reviews here on the boards, it did not disappoint. Nov. 1, the visibility was about 20 ft, water temp was 84 degrees. Nov. 2, the visibility was about 15 ft, water temp was 79 degrees. The diversity of critters is really nice! I took some pics of a few critters I couldn't identify, so maybe some of you know what these are. Take note that I'm not a pro photographer :)

Is this a jawfish or a blenny? Something else?
View attachment 622051
Pike blenny, didn't look close enough for what kind. there are a at least two species at the bridge
This looks like it might be a balloon fish or a puffer fish species. I've never seen it before.
View attachment 622056
Webbed Burrfish.
This is a little hard to make out, but it was just sitting on the sand not moving. It had spines like an urchin, and the ball-shaped body was black, about 8 inches in diameter. Never seen this before either.
View attachment 622054
It's an urchin
Yep, sea cucumber
Three different batfish over 2 days.
View attachment 622061
coolbeans!
Starfish and another fish I.D. that I don't know just to the right of the starfish. The next pic has a better shot of this little fish.
View attachment 622062
Though commonly called a starfish, it actually isn't a fish! :)
Sea Star, cushion star, to be precise.
Anyone know what this fish is?
View attachment 622063
Juvenile gray angelfish
I call this a studded starfish!!
View attachment 622064
Another cushion star
Arrow crab and juvenile drum. The drum was about 2 in. big
View attachment 622065
Yes, arrow crab and juvenile high hat
And the highlight of my day....an eagle ray flying by just at the 15 ft edge of visibility and the closest I've ever gotten to an eagle ray!
View attachment 622058
Always a joy to get buzzed by a spotted eagle ray!
Glad you enjoyed your dives! And thanks for reminding me how lucky I am to be able to dive there!

Sorry you’ve gotten blown out all week. The conditions have been AWFUL for the past 2+ weeks and look to stay awful for another 10+ days more. There was a break for about 2-3 days that boats got out but that’s been about it for several weeks. It’s been a rough fall down here ... literally!

Glad you’ve at least been able to dive BHB! Looks like @Scuba_Jenny has identified all of your critters. Awesome!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom