Blue Heron Bridge diving Christmas Eve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What Jim said. Parking can be the issue..
As far as diving when it's not high tide. Yeah, you can do it, but the viz will be greatly reduced and the current ripping. If you choose to go that route, stick to the snorkel trail where the current is mild all the time.

If you choose to go that route, stick to the snorkel trail where the current is mild all the time.

... but don’t go too far south and end up in the boat channel. Bad juju! Pay attention to where you’re at and don’t hesitate to pop up and look around at times if you need to. The whole dive is a safety stop after all!

Truth! Of course, have you really truly dived the bridge if you haven't gotten into the boat channel at some point, accidently of course!
(unless you go to the secret garden....)

well got the dive in today.

Thanks for the advice - High tide was 12:37, and we got there at 10:00.

Perfect spot in the shade of the bridge.

Went in about 11:15, and the current was ripping but manageable (for us). All the local were like it was nothing.

Great dive - wife saw a turtle and a spotted ray. Bunches of little stuff. Ended up just diving the west end and the fishing pier.

When we got out hour or so later, parking lot was packed, and we made some young mother's day by degearing quickly and giving her our spot.

I will post pictures later, can't figure out how to download from a Christmas present DC 2000.

One very funny thing, we don't use a flag a lot. My wife wanted to carry it. I turned around and she had it reeled in so it was about 2 feet underwater and had it that way for a while- I traded the camera for the flag.

Glad we didn't get a ticket - ha

Oh cool! I was there. We totally messed up on the tides.. gaah, but weren't alone, we were not first in the pool. Went in a bit too early and couldn't figure out why the current wouldn't settle down!
Did the west side also. Viz was beautiful starting and saw a spotted eagle ray out by the snorkel trail. That time, early in the dive, we saw another diver, so thought we were doing good. By the time we made it to the boat channel on the west side, the current was still ripping, and we're wondering what the heck.. but saw another diver, so figured we were still good. Eased over to the fishing bridge, still current. Gaah.. saw other divers. Saw the unicorn filefish who suddenly became camera shy when my buddy tried to take their photo..
Showed somebody with a big camera and two white strobes something very tiny in a hole in the sand. Kinda looked like a baby eel, but the nose was too sharp.. no idea. Then coming back met a manatee on a mission.. Dive over, get out, others getting out. still trying to figure out why the current was ripping so. Oh, we were going off yesterdays tide.. LOL..

If the BHB doesnt work in your plans (and even though Sunday timing might be great, if its a nice day, as others have mentioned, it will be a parking lot in water, with lots of divers silting things up etc etc), consider doing a shore dive at Lauderdale by the Sea (LBTS for short). Its another popular shore dive. You have a short swim to the first reef line, a little further to the second reef line if you choose. You won't hit 20' at either reef. Not as much in terms of macro as the BHB, but still plenty of coral and fish life to see. Not uncommon to sea nurse sharks, turtles and large schools of fish. The best thing is that you aren't dependent on the tide, but you are going to have to consider the current. If its strong, or too much surface chop, you will have to consider cancelling. Also more options for parking (its all metered). There are shops that do guided dives there as well (Gold Coast Scuba is one I'm aware of). If you want to map it, use Datura Ave, LBTS as your entry point.

Pictures of ray

ray.JPG

My wifes first one so was really cool. She has never seen one in bonaire in all the times we have been there.

Picture of turtle

turtle.JPG

Very cool, seen quite a few in other places, but they always make us smile when we see one.

And of course my contrarian daughter, the favorite thing from the dive (she didn't actually like the dive due to the current), was the baby heron (looks like, a guess), eating minnows at the entrance.
baby heron.JPG

Thanks for the input, started the trip with a cool dive with memories.

JJ

Attachments

• baby heron.JPG
    baby heron.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 86
Nice little green sea turtle. Wow.. haven't heard of a turtle sighting in a few years there.
The little heron is a snowy egret.. ID'd by the yellow feet, aka the bird with the golden slippers..
We may have seen each other underwater.. I saw the stingray, and the heron! missed the sea turtle :(

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom