Blue Grotto Makes Some Changes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The word I've heard is that PADI made the determination that instructors could not use Blue Grotto for the deep dive portion of AOW. The insurance company learned this and at renewal insisted that Blue Grotto needed to remove the permanent guideline and add the grim reaper cave signs. There is still a permanent line but it is a cave-style mainline like is seen in many caves, not the large rope that used to run all the way to the back. This all comes first-hand from a knowledgeable source.

Sad day for future divers. I did blue grotto I think as my 4th or 5th dive after cert - was a lot of fun.

I've been to Blue Grotto 20 times by my logbook count, all but two of those times for training or skills practice, and with admission now $48 I would be happy to never have to visit again. I've only done the cavern line twice, I think. It's a mildly interesting few minutes. The new sign in the lower cavern is no big loss to divers in my opinion.

The word I've heard is that PADI made the determination that instructors could not use Blue Grotto for the deep dive portion of AOW. The insurance company learned this and at renewal insisted that Blue Grotto needed to remove the permanent guideline and add the grim reaper cave signs. There is still a permanent line but it is a cave-style mainline like is seen in many caves, not the large rope that used to run all the way to the back. This all comes first-hand from a knowledgeable source.
I spend a disgusting amount of time in Blue Grotto. It is a wonderful training area that is very well kept. I was there last month. The ropes had been removed and the sign was installed. There was no mainline / permanent line in the lower area.

Dont have a strong opinion either way, but I do agree, to find somewhere to get AOW certified just got a little further from Gainesville.

I one time did the circuit and decided it wasnt really worth the trouble again. I did think to myself this was a little more sketchy than the ballroom.

I do really like Blue Grotto and Virgil the turtle. People are nice, set up area is great, bathrooms are clean and the entry dock was perfect (one time underwater but that was okay) I have probably dove there 7 times (always a quick dive to clean gear on the way back from Largo or with someone newly certified). Our MO is always to go to the diving bell, check out the dolphin, then go maybe to 60 feet.

One interesting thing, I didnt realize until the last trip was that under the dock there was a cave entrance - there was a map somewhere I saw. There is no bleeping way I would ever even think about doing that.

I like Virgil but $48 day or $72 day & night is pretty steep for what you get now when other parks are $5.

To me BG's target market are instructors bringing students. They will gladly take the money from people just coming to dive, but getting the cash out students is where their bread and butter is at.

I was thinking to myself this must be an insurance based decision. But I’ve definitely hit 101 / 102 feet several times there. In the lower chamber there’s a very slight glow of indirect outside light, but it’s faint at best. And yes Homerdoc the historically “true” cave part is behind the dock, and is discreet and gated.

Attachments

• 5EC3FBF8-A115-4B26-8E98-4A8FA6AAB577.jpeg
    5EC3FBF8-A115-4B26-8E98-4A8FA6AAB577.jpeg
    71.7 KB · Views: 84
  • 08E1BEDA-37F7-4CE2-87FC-A6DA3D22BAAF.jpeg
    08E1BEDA-37F7-4CE2-87FC-A6DA3D22BAAF.jpeg
    50.3 KB · Views: 70
I’m glad I ticked it off my springs/cavern list when I could ‘legally’ still dive to the back of the cavern. No need to go back given that I’m primarily on ocean diver. It remains a good option for a ‘gear rinse’ dive for those heading back to the Midwest from SEFL or the Keys.

I like Virgil ...
Virgil is a paparazzi photo whore.....
Toro is the true teenaged mutant ninja turtle of Blue Grotto !!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom