Blue Grotto Makes Some Changes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting. Is the Ginne Ballroom next? Those are the two often mentioned as places where it has been generally accepted as "safe" for divers with no specific cavern training to explore a true cavern.

I’ll be at Blue Grotto in a couple of weeks. Isn’t the lower chamber pretty much cave and goes down to 100ft or so?

Interesting. Is the Ginne Ballroom next? Those are the two often mentioned as places where it has been generally accepted as "safe" for divers with no specific cavern training to explore a true cavern.
I think one big difference is depth. its a lot easier to solve a problem at 50ft vs 100ft.

97' when I went. Varies a bit with rains and stuff.
Yaa, even with the water level up to the setup dock it's still tough to get 3 digits on your computer without bringing a shovel down with you. I wonder how this will affect AOW certs that many instructors do at BG??

I’ll be at Blue Grotto in a couple of weeks. Isn’t the lower chamber pretty much cave and goes down to 100ft or so?
It does reach something like 90-100 feet and so may not meet some agencies' definition of "cavern zone" extending a maximum of 130 feet total (horizontal and vertical). However, that isn't mentioned in the explanation under the link posted above. Rather, it simply says "Below 60 feet you lose sight of daylight...." I'm not sure daylight can't be seen, but regardless, some of us have long wondered about the gray area that has been called the Blue Grotto "cavern."

Yaa, even with the water level up to the setup dock it's still tough to get 3 digits on your computer without bringing a shovel down with you. I wonder how this will affect AOW certs that many instructors do at BG??
Do instructors really bring AOW students under the overhead/overhang? In my Fundies class we got a very stern warning that we were to stay in the open-water zone and dipping under the overhang would earn us an automatic fail.

I’m going to be soloing to get my weighting set with thin undies before my cave diving over the holidays. Will poke around in the upper cavern if I can get away with it.

Do instructors really bring AOW students under the overhead/overhang? In my Fundies class we got a very stern warning that we were to stay in the open-water zone and dipping under the overhang would earn us an automatic fail.

I’ve heard of instructors trying to take AOW students into the lower cavern and the students refusing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom