Blue Angel vs. Dive With Martin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ms. Ann Thrope

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We're headed down to Cozumel next month and are staying at the Caribe Blu for the first time (first time we've strayed from El Cid/La Ceiba--got really tired of looking at those ships). We've had many very happy dives with Dive With Martin, but Blue Angel is the oh-so-convenient shop at Caribe Blu, and I've been reading decent things about them too.

What we've liked about DWM is that they let one buddy stay down even when the other gets low on air and has to go up (I don't breathe much generally); mostly friendly laid-back guys who know the reefs really, really well and don't excessively nanny you if you don't want that; generous surface intervals at the beach; and generous with bottom times as long as we let them know that's what we want. I also really liked the compressed-metal "super" 80s that DWM could give us (that had 100s available too)--a little more air, a little weight off the belt. Not a big issue, but nice. We haven't been diving there since either the passing of Wilma or Martin. I think whichever op we dive with, I'll miss the Martin-led dives.

Surely some of you Texans and other super-regulars have been diving with both. Compare and contrast? Or just weigh in? Martin had so many boats, it was never a problem to just show up, talk things over and sign up for the next several days. Same at Blue Angel? (And as for other shops, we did try Living Underwater once and for various reasons it wasn't a good fit for us, at least not on that trip. )

Also, is there anything beyond Wilma rubble to dive in front of the Caribe Blu? We'll probably do a checkout dive the day we arrive no matter what, but I'm curious. We used to like the La Ceiba shore dive but thought that was looking pretty terrible and almost dead even five years ago.

Blue Angel are great. I dove with them 3 weeks ago and they let you dive how you want. I hadn't been in a while so the DM (Jose and Pablo are the 2 I dove with, both awesome) kept and eye on me while the other divers were allowed to go off and do their own thing. We surfaced when we were low on air and not when the first person was. I think they were great.
Don't know about the 80s
The shore in front of blu isn't that bad, considering. The sting ray pen next to is cool as you can see them as they swim around. I actually saw 2 sting rays right outside it as well. Not bad for a check out dive at all.

Stingray pen??? (Ok, I've just googled it, and figured out it's some sort of cruise ship attraction and people can hold a ray and get their picture taken, which seems pretty exploitive of all the creatures involved.) How big is this pen? Does it look like they're being cared for well?

I have used them both. I preferred the Blue Angel boats and service was equal to that of DWM on a good day pre-Wilma. The boats may be a little smaller, but they are shaded and seemed to be a lot faster than DWM. There is always a chance you could get a dive master that would provide you a different experience than the one I had, but I would say try Blue Angel if you have not tried them in the past.

After a recent conversation with someone familiar with the Cozumel dive operator scene, I'd have to pick DWM over Blue Angel.

I've not dived with DWM, but I have been diving with Blue Angel for several years. I have nothing but good things to say about them. They group divers with respect to experience as much as they can, they let the more experienced divers dive their computers with a minimum of nannying, they take you wherever you want to go if they feel you are ready for it, and their DM's are courteous and fun as well as experienced and very competent. I highly recommend them.

diveborg--care to elaborate?
No, not really. I actually prefer a little pampering when I dive, more than just water on the SI for example, so I'd pay a little more and go with a different operator than either Blue Angel or DWM.

What are blue angel prices and start times?

Here you go.

No, not really. I actually prefer a little pampering when I dive, more than just water on the SI for example, so I'd pay a little more and go with a different operator than either Blue Angel or DWM.

Here you go.

That is a really old picture of the dive shop; I didn't recognize it at first, It has a palapa covered restaurant on the roof now. It's been there for six or eight years.

There are dive ops for just about every taste on Cozumel. BA is a no frills op, that's true. The boats leave at 8:30, get you out to the sites quickly, serve you water on board before and between dives, and get you back in time for a late lunch. The return time varies with how far south you dive on the second tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom