Blown out of NC - ending Up at Alabama Blue Water - Pelham, AL 4/2/05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jetties at Perdido Pass(Alabama Point) can make a decent dive during high slack when our visibility is good. We're allowed to spear fish off our jetties in AL, so this dive can often bring in dinner/lunch.

The Whiskey Wreck is a 200+' long bark that sunk over a 100 years ago, about 150m off the beach. Its easy to get to, but Ivan covered the remains(there was 50' of relief, maybe 5' above the sand before the 'Cane) in sand. It may be uncovered again, I haven't dove the site since 12/4/4. I have a feeling I'll be diving there more often, its close and easier for me to get a ride to. Depending on the shifting sands, the relief can be non-existant to over 20' off the sand bottom. The most relief I've seen it at has been 10' in Dec of '03. I've only been certified for 1.5 years so that doesn't mean much. This wreck can bring in flounder and occasionally other legal sized game fish as well.

Gulf State Pier :) Ivan knocked her over, so she's fair game until they start cleaning it off the bottom. I haven't dove it yet(there really isn't anywhere to park near it), but I'll be taking my boat out this summer to it sometime or another. I just need a clear, calm day. Should have life on it by now, its been mostly in the water since Sept.

There are tons of sites offshore, including, wrecks, rubble, and natural reefs. Underwater Works, Down Under Dive Shop, and Gary's Gulf Diver all run boats and are available for charter at this time.

Corigan stopped by Gulf Shores to dive the Whiskey Wreck on his way to a cruise in New Orleans, - no luck with the weather though. Surf was running 4-6' with one hellascious crosswind!

SuPrBuGmAn:
Corigan stopped by Gulf Shores to dive the Whiskey Wreck on his way to a cruise in New Orleans, - no luck with the weather though. Surf was running 4-6' with one hellascious crosswind!
I sure did, and I definately want to get back down that way one of these days and do some diving with you. Maybe we could plan a trip to all come that way when you think the conditions may be favorable. Always a crapshoot, but I'm pretty flexible sometimes that if it looks good on thursday I could be driving Friday.

Matt

Thanks for the info bugman. I would like to make a trip down before october too. It's only a 6 hr drive from atlanta. Let us know when conditions are good for a trip. Im so ready to get in some salt water and dive a wreck, or the jetties.

Matt is not going to vortex this weekend, so cypress is out of the question. Thats alright I plan to do 3 to 4 dives at vortex on saturday, and maybe 2 on sunday. We got campsite #10 so if anyone makes it out this weekend, look me up.

Kyle

I listen to the surf reports everyday and my brother works on the beach, so I usually have a good idea on beach conditions.

I'm going to be on the beach this weekend, but no diving, just celebrating a friends birthday. Seas are rough right now anyway. Water is still murky too. The summer usually brings a much calmer gulf and decent vis(10-25' on average). I'll keep you guys posted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom