Blown Low Press Hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Any techies out there: what kind of reg maintenance is required to prevent a blown low pressure air hose? It blew right at the stage 1 reg join - looks like the rubber blew out - kind of wierd. i thought someone had shot me! how often does this occur? And - how often does it occur on your first dive! Thanks.

Generally a freak accident...
Visually inspect the hoses yearly... replace if overly worn...

I had a high pressure hose burst while suited up waiting for the boat to tie in on the Eagle, it sparked, and shot our flames - I kid you not.... Nitrox, maybe 36% was in the tank...

I have seen 2 HP hoses blow out so far.
Both had a lot of use, but still "looked" fine. The problem is the outer shell can still be fine and crimped into the fittings, but the inner sleeve that holds the pressure can be failing. Both hoses failed right at the crimp fitting.

Along the same odds, you should have gone out & bought 1 lottery ticket that day---that's all it would have taken to be a multi-millionaire right now(--1st dive & all)-----:)

While I have seen many leaking hoses that needed to be replaced but got through the dive, I have seen one other failure like you describe. The metal crimp did not hold and the hose separated from the metal end at the 1st stage. So, not at all common, but not unheard of. That is why we should always have plans for a redundant gas supply to safely terminate a dive.

We had a brand new Aqua Lung reg do that . It was a defective swage .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom