Blown away?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leah:
Good luck to you guys out that way. Last year at this same time, our area here in SC was without power for a week. If you have a kerosene heater and a battery op camping fan, place the fan on a 5 gal buck about 6 feet from the heater and it will really stir up the heat to make it toasty in the house. You can get about 16 hours on low out of a set a batteries, so don't leave the fan on all the time, just to stir things up when it is getting chilly in spots. It really makes the heater much more efficient. If you are using a barrel style kerosene heater, you can also use the round top as a stove burner. It will be like cooking on high so stay with whatever you cook.

We are due for another ice storm here soon. Hopefully it won't be too bad the trees really got a trimming last year around these parts. We get hit with this sort of thing every other winter or so, it will take out the power for a few days.

Good luck to you out that way.

Leah

Please, Please becareful with kerosene / propane / carcoal heaters inside a closed space like a house. CO kills every year.

Tobin

Yeah, we've apparently had several fatalities and a bunch of people in the hospital from CO here already. According to the paper, the hyperbaric chamber at Virginia Mason has treated over 50 people in the last two days, which is a lot considering how high the CO level has to be to get you into hyperbaric oxygen.

We have a gas fireplace in a HUGE stone chimney (75 tons of stone, the previous owners told us) and we've been running it continuously. The stone is warm to the touch, but the little fireplace is gradually losing ground to the cold. The house is 55 degrees this morning, which is still a lot better than the 30 outside.

Sorry you all are having a bit of the bad stuff out there. Here in Georgia it is 70 degrees and sunny...of course we usually get our bad stuff in february and we are overdue for a ice/snow storm.

I suggest CO detectors with battery backups. I have gas heat and that is the first thing I put in.

Mike

Well, we spent the afternoon at a friend's house, doing laundry and keeping warm and well-lit. We had hopes that, when we got home, the power would be back on, but although they got it in town today, we're still in the dark. This is getting VERY old.

I live just outside of Suquamish in the woods, and anytime the wind gets over 15 kts the power seems to go out. But by some miracle, this time it flickered a lot, but never was out for more than 2 seconds. All Kitsap county around here was out, but not me -- maybe all the easy trees had already fallen down. So I can't complain, and best wishes to you all out there without power.

Take a look at http://dnr.metrokc.gov/wtd/cso/ to find out where untreated sewage has been spilling into Puget Sound in the King County region. Though by now that ought to have stopped. I don't have urls for other counties. If I were you, I'd write to the media and to the state and the counties and tell them they ought to be publishing in the media the locations of shores where people oughtn't go into the water after heavy rains.

Don't feel too bad Lynne, I have a feeling I'll be be getting power after you, I'm out in cottage lake, every direction from my house had trees still on the powerlines today on my way to work. Any body hear from Chris (laivindil)? I know he's a little further out than I am, and deeper in the trees....

Stay warm everybody.

Jake

Well, we did 2 dives at Cove 2 on Saturday. Vis was not great, 3-5 feet on the first dive, maybe 8 -10 on the second. There were lots of dive classes in each cove. We spent Saturday night at a friend's house in Gig Harbor. No power until about 1 pm on Sunday. One night's indoor camping was OK. I feel for those of you who are still without.

Hey nwbrewer! I made it through thursday. Held onto something sturdy so I didn't blow away. :11:

TSandM; I'm going to postulate that you and I (and probably 'brewer) will get power back this comming weekend give or take a couple days. Have you been hearing about the people dragging charcoal grills inside to keep warm? :11: :11: :11: Pure insanity.

Well, that would be a lot better than what Peter got from the PSE hotline -- He's thinking it may be after CHRISTMAS before we get turned back on. Thank God for generators.

I'm not going to think about it for a few hours. I'm going DIVING!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom