Suggestion Block feature

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What happened to people? Can't you agree to disagree and move on or turn the device / app / program off and walk away? Is blocking like having the "last word" in an argument?

Blocking people... even on social media, to me, has always felt so... adolescent. It's just a way to be as narrowminded as one could possibly be. I'm sure there's situations that call for it... but I can't think of one here on SB, lol... it is after all just SB.

Plus I like watching a good argument ensue... where's the fun in cutting it short? If I walked away from every argument I've ever been in I'd never learn how unintelligent I really am, lol.

No offense op, but I agree to disagree!

Ignore feature as it is implemented does not make much sense to me. At least it could fully hide the comments of ignored person, it defeats the purpose if you see that someone you ignored posted a comment :) . You have to again actively ignore the person you already ignored. I am ok if ignore feature delivers what it promises.
I don't think it's wrong to expect people to use a little self-restraint. If you've gone to the trouble of ignoring someone, you have to actively click on something they posted in order to see it. All you have to do it...not click. I think I've got one person on ignore and it's remarkably easy to just scroll on by. After all, you've got them on ignore for a reason, right? You find them annoying, arrogant, ill-informed, whatever. So why go out of your way to read their posts?

What happened to people? Can't you agree to disagree and move on or turn the device / app / program off and walk away? Is blocking like having the "last word" in an argument?

Blocking people... even on social media, to me, has always felt so... adolescent. It's just a way to be as narrowminded as one could possibly be. I'm sure there's situations that call for it... but I can't think of one here on SB, lol... it is after all just SB.

Plus I like watching a good argument ensue... where's the fun in cutting it short? If I walked away from every argument I've ever been in I'd never learn how unintelligent I really am, lol.

No offense op, but I agree to disagree!
Cancel culture. Rife in universities which are supposed to be where thought and understanding goes on. Alas now they're seats of ignorance where snowflakes go to rest.

There are some who are so toxic that a total block is an appropriate response, I sort of like the idea but ignore is handy too.
If a member feels another member's postings are that "toxic," use the Report function. If there are enough such reports about a member's allegedly toxic posts, the moderators can decide whether to take action against the member.

I'm not so sure how much an Ignore function would reduce the bickering we sometimes see. There are some members who just seem to enjoy sparring with one another at every opportunity.

I don't think it's wrong to expect people to use a little self-restraint. If you've gone to the trouble of ignoring someone, you have to actively click on something they posted in order to see it. All you have to do it...not click. I think I've got one person on ignore and it's remarkably easy to just scroll on by. After all, you've got them on ignore for a reason, right? You find them annoying, arrogant, ill-informed, whatever. So why go out of your way to read their posts?
Yes sure but again, not click or not read are roughly same. Same goes for ignoring a DM, if I do not respond that is ignoring. What is the point of the feature if ignoring is actively done by the user.

If a member feels another member's postings are that "toxic," use the Report function. If there are enough such reports about a member's allegedly toxic posts, the moderators can decide whether to take action against the member.

I'm not so sure how much an Ignore function would reduce the bickering we sometimes see. There are some members who just seem to enjoy sparring with one another at every opportunity.
Don’t want to waste my time with sh-t heads! Some people may find my toxic People entertaining but i Don’t go to clan meetings and I have no time to waste on them, they have no opinion on any subject that I’m interested in. I find it interesting that some people fear being blocked?

Cancel culture. Rife in universities which are supposed to be where thought and understanding goes on. Alas now they're seats of ignorance where snowflakes go to rest.
@B1997 - any reason you disagree with this statement? Would you like to discuss it or just leave it hanging?

Don’t want to waste my time with sh-t heads! Some people may find my toxic People entertaining but i Don’t go to clan meetings and I have no time to waste on them, they have no opinion on any subject that I’m interested in. I find it interesting that some people fear being blocked?

Actively going somewhere where you have zero interest is completely different than being in a chatroom on an internet forum where you have lots of interest (just maybe not in the one person talking).

But I hear the clan has good coffee...

Back
Top Bottom