blending with a stick?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spaz

Reaction score
What is general consensus on do continuous blending. I have had two compressor dealers I have talked to tell me that Oxygen can never be introduced upstream, and yet I have seen outfits that bank there nitrox exactly that way. Hmmmm?

Well I guess that Dr. Morgan Wells, Director of the National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Association (NOAA) didn't know what he was doing when he developed the process for continuous nitrox blending.

The trick is to ensure a homogenous compressor inlet mixture. All types of compressors can be used with this process.

omar

HMMM...What are some references, for continuous blending? Where can I see Dr. Morgans work?

Some information on Dr. Wells is contained within the NOAA dive manual, a very good source of reference information. Contact your nearest government printing office and you can order a copy for $44.00 (about $20.00 to $40.00 cheaper than most distributers)

http://www.envirodive.com/stikinfo.html A manufacturer site (the Nitrox stik)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0941332853/inktomi-bkasin-20/002-0178531-2084863 Some additional reference material on the subject

I have been using a continuous blending system for the last 8 months. Compressor is a Eagle Cadet II. I do not use a membrane system, just regulate the amount of stored oxygen going into the compressor inlet with a regulator and needle valve.

Are newest compressor a Bauer Oceanus is labeled do not compress pure oxygen and has the same disclaimer in the manual. I would not doubt companies taking this one step further saying only compress ambient air as a liability measure...

Contact me if you have any questions,

Jeff Lane

rmediver2002 once bubbled...
I do not use a membrane system, just regulate the amount of stored oxygen going into the compressor inlet with a regulator and needle valve.

Are you using a commercial or homemade "Stik" to homogenize the mixture before it reaches the compressor?

Are newest compressor a Bauer Oceanus is labeled do not compress pure oxygen and has the same disclaimer in the manual. I would not doubt companies taking this one step further saying only compress ambient air as a liability measure...

Are you using synthetic oil in the Bauer?

Thanks!

That "manufacturer site" - the guy's getting $2,000 for a set of baffles in a piece of pipe and some cute labelling!

If that's not the juice of the day I don't know what is.

It is not a set of baffles. It is a static inline mixer that provides both clockwise and counter-clockwise motion of the gas streams. This type of mixer is used in industrial applications with very good results.

I am somewhat leery of the baffle setup. The key to not blowing up the compressor is to ensure a homogeneous mix. The static inline mixer will do this.

That being said I can put together a blender setup with the static mixers, regulator, intake filters, flow control (rotameter) for the oxygen input, and other little parts for $325.

This is more than a oxy hacker setup but will work for commercial applications where the question of garage built may make some folks nervous.

omar

We use synthetic oil in all our compressors

We use a commercial system to mix

Jeff Lane

Ok, so its a set of directional gas jets that produce counter-rotating gas flows so that they mix really well.

Even so..... I think the comment about the price for what amounts to a few pieces of PVC, a precision orifice and a welding regulator is pretty much spot-on :)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom