BlackTip Prop Upgrade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrChen

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
@Whitrzac is selling his DPV which includes a modified 4 fin BlackTip prop. For Sale - Silent Submersion Magnus DPV Upgraded!

He says he bought it from Jona at Explorer Technologies. I don't see this product on their website. Does anyone else have this prop mod or any other prop mod? How did it affect propulsion and battery life?

More thrust for high drag configurations, slightly less top speed and battery life.

@Whitrzac is selling his DPV which includes a modified 4 fin BlackTip prop. For Sale - Silent Submersion Magnus DPV Upgraded!

He says he bought it from Jona at Explorer Technologies. I don't see this product on their website. Does anyone else have this prop mod or any other prop mod? How did it affect propulsion and battery life?

First, let me just point out that what Jona is selling there is a prop hub for a Cuda/etc that lets it use BlackTip prop blades.

It is NOT an upgrade that you would put on a BlackTip. It's an upgrade you would put on a Cuda/etc..

Second, I know I said this before, and I apologize for sounding like a broken record - so I will let it go after this - but spend some good quality time with your BlackTip. Go take it diving. Get a really good feel for how all the stock aspects of it work before you worry about "upgrading" any of its parts.

The only upgrades that I would really consider, for right off the bat, are Jona's custom battery pack, instead of using Dewalt batteries, and then make yourself a Suex-style soft handle for it, to replace that cam buckle garbage handle that comes with it. The Suex-style handle I put on my BlackTip cost me about $8 in parts and a few minutes with a soldering iron to burn the 2 holes for the hose clamp to go through the 2" webbing.

And cool stickers, of course. You at least need custom name stickers to go on the sides. :D

I feel like that is coming off as pedantic or condescending. I do apologize for that! Like I said, I will let it go now. Enjoy your new scooter!

First, let me just point out that what Jona is selling there is a prop hub for a Cuda/etc that lets it use BlackTip prop blades.

It is NOT an upgrade that you would put on a BlackTip. It's an upgrade you would put on a Cuda/etc..

Second, I know I said this before, and I apologize for sounding like a broken record - so I will let it go after this - but spend some good quality time with your BlackTip. Go take it diving. Get a really good feel for how all the stock aspects of it work before you worry about "upgrading" any of its parts.

The only upgrades that I would really consider, for right off the bat, are Jona's custom battery pack, instead of using Dewalt batteries, and then make yourself a Suex-style soft handle for it, to replace that cam buckle garbage handle that comes with it. The Suex-style handle I put on my BlackTip cost me about $8 in parts and a few minutes with a soldering iron to burn the 2 holes for the hose clamp to go through the 2" webbing.

And cool stickers, of course. You at least need custom name stickers to go on the sides. :D

I feel like that is coming off as pedantic or condescending. I do apologize for that! Like I said, I will let it go now. Enjoy your new scooter!

Photos of the handle?

It's all good. I've been diving it and will be doing so again this weekend on 6 more dives. I replaced the handle with a t-handle which is a game changer because the original handle is horrible.

I asked about the prop because I was having a general prop efficiency conversation with a friend and then saw his prop upgrade post, so it got my attention. I also know others who have BlackTips and they might be interested if an upgrade existed.

I don't have any immediate plans to put more money into my BT beyond the upgraded t-handle, carry handle, and a compass.

It's all good. I've been diving it and will be doing so again this weekend on 6 more dives. I replaced the handle with a t-handle which is a game changer because the original handle is horrible.

That is part of what I'm talking about. Maybe the OEM handle has changed significantly since I got mine.

I hated the handle when I first got mine. After a number of dives where I gradually got better and better at driving it, I eventually realized that the handle was perfectly fine (for me) and that my problem had been that I was trying to use the handle to drive the scooter improperly. Once I figured out how to setup the tow cord really right and then drive it properly, the handle became irrelevant. I became able to drive it long stretches with just a fingertip on the handle. With the bwoodill firmware giving me cruise control, I can drive it with a fingertip from either hand.

Maybe if you had put more time in with the stock handle, you also would have come to the conclusion that it was actually fine. Or maybe not. Doesn't matter now. You got the T and like it and liking what you have is really all that matters. :)

I have not been getting to dive my scooter nearly as much as I'd like lately, so I'm jealous!

Back
Top Bottom