Blackthorn and Sheridan markers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveBandit

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hey Folks,
I am thinking about planning a trip out to the Sheridan and the Blackthorn. I was wondering if anybody has been out to those wrecks and can tell me what the "marker bouys" look like. I have tried to find other "marked" sites only to be frustrated when I couldn't tell the difference between the crab trap markers and the site markers (if there were any). Any info or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Dave.

Excellent info, thanks.

I'd be willing to help you find them :)

The last time I was at the Sheridan (1 year) the bouy had shifted due to storms. If you have a GPS simply get the numbers and do a pattern search. She's hard to miss. The Blackthorn is a bunch of debris scattered over a large area.

ReefGuy:
I'd be willing to help you find them :)

Hows the water out there around the first or second week of February. Thats when I'm thinking of going. I've got room for 2 morre people.

Hello. I'm not familiar with the Blackthorne and Sheridan. Are these off this coast (Florida west coast)? How difficult to access? Are they on local gps maps?
I apologize if I suddenly seem rabid, but the thought of a new dive on my coast makes my heart go pitter patter!
thank you for any help.
chris

N@rco$i$:
Hows the water out there around the first or second week of February. Thats when I'm thinking of going. I've got room for 2 morre people.

I'd love to go, but my calendar is pretty full and it'll probably be colder than I'd prefer too. Take pictures and post'em, please and thank you! :D

ffestpirate:
Hello. I'm not familiar with the Blackthorne and Sheridan. Are these off this coast (Florida west coast)? How difficult to access? Are they on local gps maps?
I apologize if I suddenly seem rabid, but the thought of a new dive on my coast makes my heart go pitter patter!
thank you for any help.
chris

It's Pinellas Reef # 2 - see this site:
http://pubgis.co.pinellas.fl.us/pcuweb_live/solid_waste/reef/reef_map.cfm

There are links on the bottom of that page that will take you back to other pages with coordinates. The Sheridan is a really nice wreck dive (if red tide didn't ruin it). Definitely worth checking out sometime. The Blackthorn is scattered nearby.

Both are approx 21 miles WNW of Clearwater pass.

Sheridan GPS numbers are N 27 52.560 - W 83 11.180

Blackthorn GPS numbers are N 27 52.573 - W 83 11.280

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom