Blackmail by 'professionals"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We offer discounts to group organisers, it's normal. It's also normal to give better rates to repeated visiting Instructors.
But if someone demanded (that being the key word) a discount just because he is a instructor he would get laughed at.

My wife has an instructor certification. When she was single, traveling alone, she believed that the dive masters tended to partner her up with the least experienced divers. I believe the thinking was that she was expected to be an ad hoc divemaster. It got so bad, that she started to only admit to having a rescue certification. So it can work the other way.

There is no need to share your highest certification, just the one needed for the dive.

My wife has an instructor certification. When she was single, traveling alone, she believed that the dive masters tended to partner her up with the least experienced divers. I believe the thinking was that she was expected to be an ad hoc divemaster. It got so bad, that she started to only admit to having a rescue certification. So it can work the other way.
Highest certification doesn’t help. Peter Guy once presented his trimix card and was turned down for nitrox. He tried asking for trimix but withou helium, bit that didn’t work.

I'm not a SCUBA instructor, but I am/was a PSIA ski instructor and an NRA pistol instructor. Locally, I was comped for lift tickets if I showed my credentials and home area seasons pass. Out of the area, if I asked nicely at the instructors admin office, I was generally comped a lift ticket - but if I hadn't been, I certainly wouldn't have kicked up a fuss.

As an NRA instructor, I organized several two-day advance training courses with a visiting, high-caliber instructor. I organized the class, secured the training venue, and took care of the instructors local needs. For that, I was provided free training in the course, which was quite a fair trade, I thought.

I'd never criticize a shop or resort for not giving the proper "entitlements" - comps are a courtesy, not an obligation.

In my neck of the woods, all dive centres give instructors discount on equipment sales, but it's not (widely) publicized. Even though every centre is n competition with each other, everyone knows everyone so people know who's active and who isn't - an inactive instructor might not get the discount. That said normal divers who are frequent customers also get a similar discount.

I do know of vacation centres giving Instructors the same discount as returning customer. A 10% discount is a small price to pay given that Instructors are likely to have access to more potential customers

That fact that these discounts exist in one thing, having an entitled attitude is another. So ask by all means, but accept it if no discount is available

I've received discounts on trips and accommodations. Some were what are known as "Fam" or familiarization trips to get to know a new operation. I also know of instructors and shop owners that will get a discounted rate for a group, jack the price up, and take the free spots. While complaining about having to default on a loan from a bank.
I also know shops that get the free spot, charge the discounted group rate, then discount it further by spreading the savings among the group members. Since I really don't want to hassle with organizing trips, guess who I refer those who want a group trip to?
As for the instructor who keeps getting paired up with new divers by operations without being comped? I have zero sympathies for them. It's called saying "NO". You want me to watch a newbie because you don't have the staff? Fine, you'll comp me the trip, pay me $75 per dive, and they will fill out a waiver and release for me. Otherwise, go pound salt.
If a new diver asks me themselves to buddy up, chances are I will if I don't have a set goal in mind. They also need to be honest about their training and experience.
If I have a goal and don't want a buddy, I'll just say no and tell them I am doing my own thing and another person would just harsh my mellow.

I know some group leaders who are solo and checking out future sites who will ask, some expect, and some actually get deals on the premise that they'll bring business with them in the future. I've lead groups on various tours, and depending on the location I might inquire. (I try to figure out if it's typical practice in that region/style of business or not.)

However, I also wouldn't expect this because of my SCUBA certification or professional qualifications. Rather, I have a track record of running successful trips and thus people know I'm "legit," not just Joe Instructor promising what they can't or never have delivered. And I'd never ask if I wasn't seriously thinking of bringing a group.

That said, a lot of places will do things like $X per person for a group of Y people plus one free group leader. Or same price, but if the group has Y+5 people you can bring a second leader free or at half price. But that depends on hitting your target for Y.

That said, a lot of places will do things like $X per person for a group of Y people plus one free group leader. Or same price, but if the group has Y+5 people you can bring a second leader free or at half price. But that depends on hitting your target for Y.

That sounds fair and anyone who organizes a group should ask operations/resorts if they have such policies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom