• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Blackmail by 'professionals"?

Discussion in 'Business of Diving Institute' started by Indah, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Wookie

Wookie Secret Field Agent ScubaBoard Business Sponsor

Do you talk to other pilots?

kelemvor likes this.
  2. The Chairman

The Chairman Chairman of the Board

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    While I appreciate your candor and that you sent this after the fact that you had made a decision, I disagree with your 5th point. It's simple bashing and not constructive criticism. No wonder he got miffed.

I also find this statement appalling:
    Both the OP and you seem to have over-drawn conclusions based on your mutual rejection. He sees you as some weasel and you see him as vindictive. He didn't name you, so there's no retaliation involved. Re-read his op, and you can tell he was genuinely offended by your request, and took exception with your characterization of his dive op in your letter. You're both letting criticisms get the better of your rational thought. Stop, take a moment and see it from the others' eyes. Feedback is a bonus if you learn from it and both of you should learn how you're coming across to each other.

Bottom line, you don't like each other and you both are trying to make the other out to be a horrible person. I'm kind of glad you didn't do business with each other as it might have been a real catastrophe. How's that for condor?

It's been my experience that there are many people I can do business with and a few where we simply don't mesh. Just a few. I try not to vilify those that see things differently than I do. They have their own burdens and perspectives. I leave it as "we just don't get along" and do business with people I am compatible with.

Schwob, northernone, Indah and 5 others like this.
  3. flyboy08

flyboy08 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I try not to, their extremely arrogant:)

4. JackD342

JackD342 Dive Shop

Thanks for the context to better understand the exchange. Frankly, I do feel you probably went a bit too far with your bullet point #5. All that preceded that may or may not find wide agreement, but your equating the lack of a discount to an unsafe and dishonest operation I feel undercuts all your other points, and invites a more personal reaction to what can easily be received as a personal affront. The OP’s reaction, whether excessive or not, is understandable.

shoredivr, Schwob, LiteWeight and 6 others like this.
  5. Stoo

Stoo NAUI Instructor

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
  6. The Cat Man

The Cat Man Garibaldi

I appreciate your kind words. And to the point, I gave reasons to give the discount, and that is all. The fact that I have heard other professionals over the years state this very thing is the reason it was included. I didn't say that I did it, or that I would do it, even went as far as to say that it didn't imply, but it doesn't change the fact that dive professionals, including CDs, HAVE made this conclusion and they have made recommendations because of it. Take it how you will, and he can also, it doesn't change the fact that it is a true statement.

7. wetb4igetinthewater

wetb4igetinthewater Instructor, Scuba

Or maybe they run such an amazing resort that they have customers return year after year and typically have no vacancy during the season that they don't need to hand out discounts to instructors? You don't know as you haven't been there.

Schwob, Kensei and Dan like this.
  8. Zef

Zef Divemaster

Or maybe you're just an entitled A-hole who will find some niggling bulls*&t to act all bent over and not provide good feedback/advertisement for the dive op. Then they just lost 10% with no return on the investment.

Maybe it would be better to put that "professional" ego aside, pay to play with that dive-op and develop a RELATIONSHIP with them where they learn the kind of person you are and willingly extend you a "professional" discount as a courtesy because they know you enjoyed your experience with them and they have the sense that you will provide positive word of mouth advertising with them.

You may ask why my tone is so harsh...well, if you have never stayed/dived with this operation then why would "negative advertising" ever enter the equation? As a professional, if someone asks if they should stay/dive with an operation that you have no experience with, your response should be along the lines of "I am sorry I really can't comment because I have never used that operation".

Way to go, pro!

-Z

9. Scott

Scott Tech Instructor

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    Not so sure about that one. If I've never been to a particular resort, I always find it best to say; I've never been there, so I have no information and send them here or someplace to investigate.

What would your potential customer or student think if you said? Don't go there, they are so cheap they wouldn't even offer me a discount when I inquired.

shoredivr and Graeme Fraser like this.
  10. The Chairman

The Chairman Chairman of the Board

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    "They're" :D :D :D

BenjaminF, flyboy08 and Diving Dubai like this.