Blackbeard's Shipwreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jwvanno:
I too, would be VERY interested in diving this wreck!!

I've written to Lauren at Olympus, and will add any information she sends to this thread. If anyone else has any information, please don't hesitate to post it.

Thanks

Great, keep us posted.

Just for clarification, Scubamate was completely correct with all his information. His links are the best ones to use if you are interested in this dive.

Lauren with Olympus Dive Center is indeed doing all the coordination for these trips, although she is a difficult person to get on the phone! :)

The only remark that I have seen above that seems to be mistaken is that they are not limiting the first year to NC divers. I'm in Florida, and have just completed booking a trip for Oct 18-20 with Discovery Diving in Beaufort.

WVDiver.... Lauren tells me that they are filling FAST, so if you're wanting to make this dive, I suggest you move quickly. You have to think of 300 divers total... I took 2 slots personally, and the LDS I use took another 8 just because I told one of the guys about it and word spread... (They're going at the end of the season on 11/6) I told them about it Fri evening (6/3) and by this morning, word had spread far enough that 8 more people were ponying up the $500 plus, and rearranging work schedules to make the trip.

My point is that at least 10 slots of 300 are already filled (11 counting scubamate's countdown. :)) just in the last 3 days from a single person noticing your original post and Deputydan's reply... Book ahead.

Now to the group.... What do you say to the people who roll their eyes and ask why anyone would want to pay $500 for what boils down to a 20 minute dive and a new specialty cert card??

How do you explain to them (without a long drawn discussion!!) that if they don't see the point of a very limited opportunity on arguably the most famous pirate ship in history, you aren't going to change their minds, and they aren't going to change yours??

I guess I'm just lucky as hell, since my girlfriend thought about it for less than a minute, before she agreed we should go and book it before it was too late!!

Thought I'd post the intended itenerary. The times may change due to weather and/or tides.

The Queen Anne’s Revenge!

The schedule for this underwater archeological course titled “Dive Down” is

Tuesday (evening):
There will be a welcome reception and dinner at one of the local restaurants.

Wednesday (morning):
Starts with a Continental breakfast at the NC Maritime Museum
8am-12 noon Classroom
12 noon-approx 1:15 Lunch at the museum
2 pm - Assemble at Olympus’ dock for training dive (bring your dive gear)
3pm - Training dive on a wreck similar to The QAR
4pm – Debriefing
Dinner on your own or as a group

Thursday (morning):
Starts with a continental breakfast at The History Place
Briefing on The QAR
Assemble at the dock for departure to site (bring your dive gear and cameras)
30-minute dive on The QAR narrated using submersible MP3 players
Return to dock
Convene at NC Maritime Museum (Gallants Channel Facility) for lunch
Debriefing, evaluation and certification

Cost for this adventure is $500.00 and includes:
Dinner Tuesday evening, classroom session and materials, breakfast and lunch both days, tanks, boat charters, one training dive on a similar wreck, one 30 minute narrated dive on The QAR, and a Distinctive Dive Specialty Certification. Lodging and tips are not included.

Note: Buoyancy control is of the utmost importance so as not to damage this historic dive site. Get out a dive with us through the summer so you can fine-tune your buoyancy!

Contact Lauren at Olympus Dive Center 252-992-1258 or lauren@olympusdiving.com if you have any questions.

My LDS has some spots available for the QAR dive September 18th - 20th.

www.bluedolphindive.com

I did this dive in October along with Scubamate. It's truly an awesome experience! I highly recommend it to all those who are considering it!

--Gerry

So when would be the best possible date to go? Are the waters off of NC pretty cold? Thanks

Dynasty:
Are the waters off of NC pretty cold? Thanks

As a diver used to Florida, I had this same question.

The pages I've read, and the people I've talked to from NC say that the water temp in October will be around 80 degrees F. Warm enough, even for me. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom