Blackbeards in Feb...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure anyone has ever accused me of being a competent dive buddy before!!! LOL ( well, I think DivePartner1 did here once )

My wife is certified, but shes close to being a non-diver. Especially with the little 11 month old we have running around.

Let me throw out those dates as a third possibility to her. I don't think she'll go for it though. The reason she wants me to do the 5 day in May is because she'll conviently be travelling to WV/VA/MD then.

Hey all. This is pretty ironic. I just did a Blackbeard's trip last week and LOVED it! This comes with a disclaimer however. If you have a choice, whatsoever, request to be assigned to Captain Paul and "Ichiban" Johnny as your cook. It is guaranteed to be the best live-aboard food you will ever have. Blackbeard's is a great company overall, they will make the whole experience even better. Captain Paul is an amazing freediver, who has a great eye for spotting lobster. On almost all of their trips, they have a surf and turf night with lobster tails and steak when you arrive in Bimini. This is unique to them only however. From speaking with the crew, they are the only ones that do this... It is well worth it. Johnny is a former 4 star chef and can do what no other person can to Sysco "filler" food.

As for the dive conditions... The water is about 77 at the surface and 74-5 at depth. The currents that they were expecting were pretty mild the week I was out so there was not too much drift diving. I wore a 1mm wetsuit, but I am a little bigger than most. Pretty much everyone on my trip got along fine with a 3mm and gloves. It is always smart to have a hood as well, but I didn't use mine at all on the trip. There was a decent abundance of Caribbean Reef Sharks, lots of barracuda (although not as many as on the Outer Banks) and tons of fish. Also, they say that sea turtles are pretty rare to see in the wild, but I saw four in the span of 4 days, so thats not bad either. I also was one of the lucky few to see a Hammerhead shark at a dive spot called "The Nodules" It is a wall dive that begins at 65-70 feet and drops to infinity.

You will definitely want to bring foul weather gear however, since it was windy as hell when I was there. It could definitely get cold during the surface intervals. I actually preferred to be in the water since it would keep me warm.

As far as hotels, I am not entirely sure. If anyone has any further questions, let me know. This is about all I can think of right now and I am sure I left stuff out. Feel free to email me. Happy Diving.

Marc

Hey thanks for the trip report, I was dreaming I was diving off that boat last night. I don't know if I'll be able to wait 2 more months for my trip! One question came to mind. Are all of the tanks they provide aluminum low pressure yoke valves? I need to know because I dive with high pressure steel tanks with din valves so I will have to convert my regulator to a yoke before the trip. Thanks again for your help. Oh one other question: It sounds like you did the long weekend trip? I'm doing the long weekend trip in the end of March and I'm wondering how many night dives there will be. I'm trying to decide to bring just one set of batteries for my lights or buy rechargables if there are several night dives.

Marcos:
Hey thanks for the trip report, I was dreaming I was diving off that boat last night. I don't know if I'll be able to wait 2 more months for my trip! One question came to mind. Are all of the tanks they provide aluminum low pressure yoke valves? I need to know because I dive with high pressure steel tanks with din valves so I will have to convert my regulator to a yoke before the trip. Thanks again for your help. Oh one other question: It sounds like you did the long weekend trip? I'm doing the long weekend trip in the end of March and I'm wondering how many night dives there will be. I'm trying to decide to bring just one set of batteries for my lights or buy rechargables if there are several night dives.

Yes, all tanks are Yoke AL80's. I've done the week and the weekend trip. If memory serves the weekend is like 10 dives. You leave Friday night and get into Bimini about 2 am. Clear customs about 7am and get out to your first shallow site for a 'checkout' dive. Its very informal and for your own purposes. Something like 3 dives on Saturday, 4 on Sunday and then 3 on Monday. Clear customs in the afternoon and get back into Miami late Monday night. Clear Miami customs in the morning and get off the boat anytime you feel like.

You'll probably only do 1 night dive. If the weather prevented a day dive the Capt might throw in another night dive and mix it up with port call somehow. You should be fine with one set of batteries. They cell chem yoke-sticks on the boat for a couple of bucks.

I just got back yesterday and I must say except for the crossing our trip was perfect.
Definately take raingear and ziplock bags(these are great in case you do get sick)...
If you are in the Bimini area ask them to dive "Little Cayman".It was the absolute best dive Ive ever had,Beautiful man,Beautiful... "Stevies Wonder" was low vis and had a thermocline to 68deg , this was the only dive I got cold on(definately bring a hood and gloves and a 3mm full suit)I didnt have gloves but they can be nice for hangs on the mooring line in current."The road to Atlantis" is a great dive even though its shallow at 15ft(Ive never seen a larger moray(body diameter about 4-5" or larger lobster)
Also I second the feedback about "Ichabod"John's cooking and a great crew all the way around on the Pirates Lady.

Have Fun!!!
-Tom

Also dont forget to ask if any one there is on scubaboard...You never know ,you may make some new friends ...Oh yeah dont forget to leave something on the wall or ceiling at "the end of the world" Bar LoL

-Tom

Tommygun53:
Oh yeah dont forget to leave something on the wall or ceiling at "the end of the world" Bar LoL

-Tom

LMAO, i cant go into details but i do have pics of myself from that place. i LOVE it there. :)

steve

I just got back last week from a blackbeards...aboard the Pirates Lady with Capt Mike. I will also second the ichiban reccommendation...great chef...The conditions are not luxurious but that only adds to the whole experience...HAD THE TIME OF MY LIFE! I reccommend it to anyone looking for a budget trip..Check out the photo's.
www.picturetrail.com/jaythomas

Hey I'm going on blackbeard's from 3/26 - 3/30, anybody else going that weekend? I'm a solo diver so I could use a dive buddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom