Blackbeard - Liveaboard - Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We send them to collect Exhaust Samples. Ever see a kid try to catch turbine exhaust in a trash bag?

I regret that I only have one like to give this!

After looking through the other posts I have come up with my pack list. Let know if I'm off on something. Thanks

Travel Clothes (Will Also Take & Use On Boat)

T-shirt
Shorts
Underwear
Shoes (Leave At Dock)

Toiletries
Glasses & Case
Extra Contacts
Contact Solution & Case
Eye Drops
Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Tooth Picks
Hotel Bar Soap
Body Wash
Deodorant
Tylenol
Dramamine
Benadryl
Tums
Ear Drops
Q Tips
Sunscreen
Lotion
Chapstick
Ear Plugs

Clothing On Boat
(3) Swim Trunks
(2) Dive Shirt
(2) T-shirt
Flip flops
(3) Underwear
(1) Pants
(1) Jacket
(1) Long Sleeve Shirt
Toboggan
Sun Hat
Bandana

Dive Gear
Mask
Defog
Snorkel
Octo
BC
Knife
Compass
Computer
Wetsuit
Boots
Fins
Dive Light & Charger
Tank Light
Dive Log
Cert Card

Misc
GoPro
SD Cards
Sun Glasses & Case
Zip Lock Bags
(2) Quick Dry Towels
Flashlight
Multi Tool
Batteries (For Flashlight)
Battery (For Dive Computer)
Dry Box & Bag
Phone Charger
Headphones
Magazines
ID, Insurance Card & Passport
Money & CC
Pen
Spring Clamps

Clothes For Last Day & Travel (Left At Dock)
Shorts
T-shirt
Underwear
Shoes

@dirkmy

You may want to double check on the flip flops. I know people who took a Blackbeard's trip last year. From what they told me, they were told no flip flops due to the ladder between decks. Had to have shoes with heels and toes. They got some of the Keen athletic sandals that have both but are open on the sides.

Could be wrong, but that's what I remember them telling me.

Last edited:
Seems like a complete and good list; but I would consider dropping some things.

Do you wear your contact lenses diving? I honestly don't know, as I've never had them, but if you don't, and don't really mind the glasses, I personally would stick to the glasses. I don't know much about contacts, but it seems like a hassle that I wouldn't enjoy on the boat; putting them in in the morning just to take them out an hour or so later; and maybe having them in an hour or two in the evening; with the maintenance needed, to me it seems like a hassle.

You could probably leave off the sunscreen; the boat has lots.
I usually only had one pair of swim trunks. One drying on the line, one I was wearing.
In the interest of space; I only brought one towel. It usually dries well between dives.

Likewise, I don't know about the flipflops. I usually wore boat shoes or 'Aqua-socks' on the boat.

Definitely can leave the multi-tool behind. The boat has lots of tools, and they'll let you borrow whatever you need.
Not much need of a flashlight; the boat has topside lights, hall lights and there is a reading light on your bunk.
Batteries....If you change out your dive computer battery, it shouldn't be an issue on the trip.

By spring clamps; you mean clothes pins? Definitely bring a handful, and make sure they're strong; the cheap wood ones aren't strong enough. There are some on the boat as well.

You got a great list.

But the toboggan....I don't know, man. Ain't much snow where you're going....:)

Seems like a complete and good list; but I would consider dropping some things.

Do you wear your contact lenses diving? I honestly don't know, as I've never had them, but if you don't, and don't really mind the glasses, I personally would stick to the glasses. I don't know much about contacts, but it seems like a hassle that I wouldn't enjoy on the boat; putting them in in the morning just to take them out an hour or so later; and maybe having them in an hour or two in the evening; with the maintenance needed, to me it seems like a hassle.

You could probably leave off the sunscreen; the boat has lots.
I usually only had one pair of swim trunks. One drying on the line, one I was wearing.
In the interest of space; I only brought one towel. It usually dries well between dives.

Likewise, I don't know about the flipflops. I usually wore boat shoes or 'Aqua-socks' on the boat.

Definitely can leave the multi-tool behind. The boat has lots of tools, and they'll let you borrow whatever you need.
Not much need of a flashlight; the boat has topside lights, hall lights and there is a reading light on your bunk.
Batteries....If you change out your dive computer battery, it shouldn't be an issue on the trip.

By spring clamps; you mean clothes pins? Definitely bring a handful, and make sure they're strong; the cheap wood ones aren't strong enough. There are some on the boat as well.

You got a great list.

But the toboggan....I don't know, man. Ain't much snow where you're going....:)

Thanks for all the info. Will look into the sandals. I am basically blind without contacts or glasses and I wear them while diving also I got a bald head so the toboggan is for that at night. The spring clamps are the heavier duty plastic ones. I use them for wood working.

Thanks for all the info. Will look into the sandals. I am basically blind without contacts or glasses and I wear them while diving also I got a bald head so the toboggan is for that at night. The spring clamps are the heavier duty plastic ones. I use them for wood working.
Then it sounds like the contacts would be a good idea. I don't know how much they cost, but if you need them while diving, an extra pair (or two) may be warranted. It'd suck to lose one underwater and be stuck not seeing for the rest of the trip.

I know many of the divers who need vision correction use prescription mask inserts for their mask to avoid this; it may be worth looking into

Toboggan:

(Southern US, especially South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia) A knit cap, designed to provide warmth in cold weather.
- Wicktionary

Learned some new vocabulary today. We call them toques. :wink:

I got a bald head once and they’re great for warmth while sleeping!

Last edited:
Good list

Really no need for a flashlight on board; and if you have a small backup dive light....... The multi tool really not necessary and in March a toboggan shouldn't be needed. Bring clips, they really come in handy and get a couple of good strong ones for your wetsuit.

I sleep in board shorts so I pack three (and no shorts) YMMV. Computer battery doesn't take up space so why not? I pack two quick dry towels, one for on deck another for showers

On a previous thread packing a dry bag was questioned but I pack one for the on deck dive bin to save space on the shelf for things I may not ever use but want to have JIC..

About the flip flops, I have packed them on 4 Blackbeard's trips , no problem. Will pack them again when I go this June.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom