New Book from Simon Pridmore

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Compressor

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just published is a new book from one my favorite authors Simon Pridmore. It's called Technically Speaking.

While I have not finished the book yet as it was just published, it's a fascinating look at the shaping of technical diving. It's volume 1. It's written well, reads well and there are areas of humor we can all enjoy.

Here is a link to where it's sold on Amazon.

The book is excellent and fun to read. The history of the “nitrox wars” of the early 90s was surprising - and highly entertaining.

For all the people talking recently about bringing back deep air, there was discussion about how the deaths of the Rouse father and son on the U Who in 1992 pretty much ended that discussion back then.

There’s a Kindle edition that’s only $7. No photos or charts that need a hard copy. Go get this book.

CAEFBB8A-E121-48A7-82FC-E898814F321B.jpeg

For those that care, the ebook is also available as a DRM free epub (e.g. for reading on Linux) at Technically Speaking: Talks on Technical Diving Volume 1: Genesis and Exodus, an Ebook by Simon Pridmore. The price is the same, USD7. The author links to a few online bookstores from Technically Speaking - Talks on Technical Diving Volume 1: Genesis and Exodus, I didn't investigate them all, I've previously had good experience with smashwords.

No matter whether you are an ‘ordinary’ scuba diver graybeard, a tech diver graybeard, a long time tech diver, a more ‘recent shower’ tech diver, an intent-on-being/becoming a tech diver, a basic nitrox diver or just an occasional scuba diver, this book’s for you! Even if you think you know the history of technical diving, think again, their will be very few divers no matter what ‘level’ that do not learn something new about the history of tech’s formative years in this book by Simon Pridmore. Simply a must read even if you only have a passing interest in ‘technical diving’.

As I am sure @Marie13 would attest to, it’s worth buying just for a deep dive into the ‘nitrox wars’ (even if we all know who won that one :cheers:).

Oh, and don't let the subtitle 'Talks On Technical Diving' put you off, it is not written in a dry 'talk-like' format by any means. Far from it!

TECHNICALLY SPEAKING by Simon Pridmore
CONTENTS
Preface 5
PART I
TALKS
1. Gentile’s Judgement 11
2. Crucible 23
3. Emergence 45
4. A Brief History of Nitrox 63
5. Uncivil War 1 75
6. Uncivil War 2 105
7. Cometh the hour… 135
8. Expansion 1 151
9. Expansion 2 179
10. Closing the Loop 223
11. The PO2 Story 269

PART II
APPENDICES
The Andrea Doria's Haunting Call 285
High Tech for the Deep 291
A Technically Speaking Timeline 297
Dramatis Personae 313
About the Author 329
Also by Simon Pridmore 331
Acknowledgements 333
A Technical Diving Bibliography 335
Selected Sources and Further Reading 341

For those that have read Simon's other books, any reason not to get either a kindle or Audible edition? Thinking graphs and charts, or things that are just better with a physical copy? I know Marie mentioned the current one is well suited for those mediums, curious about the previous books?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom