Black water and manta dive pics.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On the manta dive your almost on shore in 20-30 feet of water. It's the black water dive where your off shore and in 6000-7000 feet of water. The black water is a pretty new dive but Im not sure exactly how long it's been going on. Im sure Matt will post soon and let us know for sure.
BTW, no big critters have been seen on the black water dive, just the cool little stuff.

Oops. I thought they were the same dive... Like all the small plankton come up at night and then the mantas come in to feed. Maybe I can handle a manta dive after all. :)

Wildcard:
Here are a few more from the trip, some day, some night, some manta and some black water.
BTW this may soon be a new PADI specialty dive.
Thanks Lisa...Thats Red Rover and K in the first pic. RR is the one with the yellow plastic head banging thinggie
Gee thanks Wildcard. I would have to have asked for feed back. :shakehead That head banging thingy has a very useful purpose. In case I forget to beat myself up mentally; I almost always have a redundant source.:blinking:

Kiiy,

The manta dive is a great first night dive. For the first half hour, you are sitting in a circle with the mantas in the middle (sort of like an underwater amphitheater). You want to be overweighted for this dive, otherwise you may have to hold on to some rocks in order to stay down. Then you spend the remainder of the dive hunting around for nocturnal animals on the way back to the boat.

Wildcard's blackwater dive sounds a little freaky to me though. I'd feel like a giant chumsicle on that tether. :)

TYhe manta dive is about the easiest dive you can imagine if the manta's show. It's like being in PADI OW class...the only dive where you sit around kneeling on the bottom. Plus the area is lit up like a stadium. It's a really cool environment. Sort of extraterrestrial with all the divers kneeling and pointing their lights upward and snorkellers at the top with lights pointing down and tons of bubbles everywhere.

You do get cold because it's so sedentary. Wear more wetsuit and a lot more weight than normal.

Blackwater sounds fun as hell to me. I think Dive Tek does them too. They were telling me how they did a blue water then a black water dive a few weeks ago. On the blue water they swam for a while with an Oceanic Whitetip. Also a few weeks ago, some of the guys at Dive Tek got to swim with a Sperm Whale(!!) way offshore. So I guess there's always potential for big critters out there in the deep. I'd pass on an Oceanic Whitetip at night, personally :wink:

Ive been off line for a few days and was just checking in to see if Matt was going to share his last big black water excitment? I can not wait to do it again. If I get the big isle job coming up, Im DMing for someone for just night dives, even if I have to do it for free!

I'll share. Still processing how I plan to explain it. My butt puckers up just remembering that experience.

As for DM's, we might be in need. I'll keep you posted.

it's good. Perhaps once in a life time.

Perhaps twice!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom