Black water and manta dive pics.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt said he was too puckered to take pics, or was that it was too close? Whatever, way cool! Come on Matt, it's your story, share.....

I'll post the story as a new thread, Brian.

but I am waiting here.....

okay, well at least pm in your inner circle fans.

LioKai:
I'll post the story as a new thread, Brian.

Post a link in this thread pls

Us who are in a different time zone may miss it and it sounds like to good a story to miss.

AWesome!

How is the Diving in Oahu compared to Maui?

Sucks....

When the vis is good, each of the Hawaiian Islands has spectacular diving. They are all different though so it's like comparing apples and oranges.

In the Summer, Oahu's North Shore has some of the best shore cavern/lava tube diving at Shark's Cove/Three Tables. On the West and South sides there are impressive wrecks to dive nearly year round; Mahi, Sea Tiger, YO-257/San Pedro and Corsair. There are quite a few other good shore and boat dives when visiting Oahu.

Maui County has some of the best diving in the US, but most of it is off the other Islands (Islets); Molokini, Lanai (Cathederals), Molokai (Moku Ho'oniki Rock, rarely dove). There is plenty of Maui shore diving but Developement Fever has had a negative effect on water quality and visibility. On the West Side, Mala Wharf is nearly guaranteed white tip reef sharks, Black Rock is a renouned beginner dive and Honolua Bay (Summer Only) is very nice for those that don't mind a long walk and long surface swim. The South shore has Ulua, Makena Landing/5-Caves, Ahihi as well as others. There are also a few wrecks, St. Anthony, Tofuda (rarely) and the recent Carthaginian II.

Comparing days with the best vis, Oahu's wrecks and North Shore (May-September) are way better than Maui's wrecks and shore dives. For non-wreck boat dives, Molokini, Lanai and Molokai are the best. The Hawaiian Islands are rarely dive only destinations with time of year and non-diving activities having a big impact.

Where Maui wins is with Manta Rays, Spotted Eagle Rays, Whale Sharks, Reef Sharks and Humpback Whales (November-March). You are more likely to see more of these creatures when you visit Maui.

I choose to live on Maui because my overall lifestyle is better, but I miss Oahu's North Shore, wrecks and night life.

Back
Top Bottom