Black Rock Dive Video + Bonus Relationship Advice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SPKelpDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
camera_icon.png
Black Rock, Dive Video + Bonus relationship advice

My girlfriend and I took a trip to Maui in early June. While on the island I made five shore dives I wish I could I say I had made 15+ dives, but my girlfriend is not a diver, and this was not a dive trip (which I was constantly reminded through out the entire trip). Maui is the extent of my tropical diving experience, and this is the second time I have visited the Island. The next video I will be posting is my shore dive at Honolua Bay (One of my favorite sites on Maui so far). I love California diving, but every time I leave Maui, I feel like I leave a part of my heart and soul. I love this Island.

I have a dog at home, a chocolate lab named Jake. It doesn't take much to make Jake happy; just a ball. In fact, getting the ball is his big "why"; his one goal in life. Jake and I happen to be quite similar. He gets the ball, and I get to dive. If Jake get's the ball, and I get to dive, we are a man and dog not left wanting. The problem is, we both tend to fixate on "ball". My girlfriend, Grace, would constantly have to "correct" me for "getting the ball" (her words). She just wanted to be with me, and I just wanted to...well...do nothing but dive. This conflict of interest caused a tremendous amount of discourse between us through out the entire trip unfortunately. The take away message is - NEVER go on a tropical vacation with your significant other unless he/she is a diver. Go to Europe or something. That bumper sticker that I see at my local dive shop echoed through out my mind the entire trip...... "My girlfriend says if I go diving one more time she is going to leave me. I am sure going to miss her"

Out of the five dives I made on the island, four of them were at Black Rock, and I was never bored. Black Rock bustling with life. Visibility ranged from 25-50 foot depending on the dive. Temp at depth was about 78-80 degrees. Maximum depth was about 35 feet. I wish I had the opportunity to dive this site at night.
Here is the video. Filmed on a GoPro Hero2, attached to the top of my Shockwave 3 dive light. Make sure to click HD!

Great video, THANKS. I just returned from Maui about 6 weeks ago, I did a night and day dive at Black Rock also, good diving. Already planning a trip back for August or September. I just need to move there but cannot get the wife to go.

I am very fortunate that both my wife and I are obsessed about scuba diving. It's important to have interests and hobbies that you share. We used to play golf together but we both had anger management issues and had to finally give it up for scuba diving. Thankfully there's no talking under water!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

But Greg, what's that hand signal she always gives you when we go scootering LOL. Yes you are lucky, my wife just likes to lay on the beach while I dive ( but I'm OK with that) Diving is not for everyone. Hey you in for a dive at Tahoe when you come next month ?. The rubicon wall was pretty good last weekend.

I too am am big Maui diving fan. You have many places you need to dive there. After five years of me diving, my wife got certified and now we are 31 years married, of which we have been dive buddies for 12 years. Pay plenty of attention to your girlfriend, but you are entitled to a life too. It's not like you are married. Perhaps you can introduce her to snorkeling and get her jazzed about the underwater world. One of these days she may see the klight and become a diver too. If that happens, marriage becomes a real option. Otherwise, remember that it is just as easy to fall in love with a diver as it is to fall in love with a non-diver. Actually, it's probably easier. Now there is some real relationship advice.
DivemasterDennis

I live in Hawai'i and my wife suggested we get certified together. I love my life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom