Black masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know I'll get flamed by the DIR crowd on this but particulaly for masks there is NO one right answer, the three things that matter when selecting a mask are fit, Fit, and FIT! everthing else is personal preference. I use a black scubapro frameless because it fits great and IT LOOKS WAY COOL!

Firediver32:
Why use them?, what are the advantages/disadvantages?

1. my nose doesn't look all nasty in photographs, as it does when seen
through a clear skirt.

2. i can pretend i'm a Navy Seal

3. chicks dig them

4. they don't turn yellow

5. i look good in black

I prefer the silicone mask material when acting as a dive con for classes. I can focus on what is in front of me and the optical properties of the silicone allow me some ability to monitor students to either side. I can't tell what they are doing, but I can tell if they are there, how much they are moving and how spastic those movements are.
Scubapro frameless is my mask of choice for "me" dives.

What's wrong with yellowed silicone?

I have found that the yellowing is a function of how chlorinated the pool is. I used to use old Cressi clear mask when teaching in the pool. This "yellowed" much quicker than my other which I used in the quarry. (Similar number of dives). But the color change has not changed the characteristics of either.

Andy, they diminish my crows feet.

tridacna:
I have found that the yellowing is a function of how chlorinated the pool is. I used to use old Cressi clear mask when teaching in the pool. This "yellowed" much quicker than my other which I used in the quarry. (Similar number of dives). But the color change has not changed the characteristics of either.
It's my understanding that the yellow skirts are often seen belonging to the confused divers.....you know, those who spit in their wetsuit and urinate in their mask.:D

My wife has a yellow skirt and is often confused, so I'd have to agree. She never wears it when she dives though.

I used to get a ghosting shadow inside the mask with a clear silicon seal when diving in low viz conditions, diving in the UK you get these now and then! I now use a black skirt mask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom