Black Mask Skirt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

segundo3000gt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I placed an order with scuba.com for a cressi big eyes mask. I ordered a clear skirt but they sent out an e-mail saying that the clear skirt wasn't in stock so they were just going to mail out the black skirt version. It's not really what I wanted so I don't feel bad asking for them to take it back and give me what I asked for. Just wondering if anyone has an opinion on clear vs. black. I've heard that black helps with light reflection or something but I'm worried that it will affect my peripheral vision in some way. Any comments?

Once I get down there and get to the task at hand, I don't really notice what mask I am using. I have both black and clear. The ability to keep sealed and not leak is more important than the color. Black is kind of back in style right now. Cressi makes a good product, and you should do fine.

Happy diving!

Hunters & photographers tend to prefer black skirts. It keeps the peripheral light out, which makes your forward vision better. This helps when looking into holes for fish or into a camera.

segundo3000gt:
I placed an order with scuba.com for a cressi big eyes mask. I ordered a clear skirt but they sent out an e-mail saying that the clear skirt wasn't in stock so they were just going to mail out the black skirt version. It's not really what I wanted so I don't feel bad asking for them to take it back and give me what I asked for. Just wondering if anyone has an opinion on clear vs. black. I've heard that black helps with light reflection or something but I'm worried that it will affect my peripheral vision in some way. Any comments?

When doing very shallow diving (less than 40 feet) in exceptionally clear water, on a bright sunny day, the black skirt has another advantage..........it restricts the light rays that enter the mask, from behind, through the skirt. These light rays are often simply reflected off of the glass lens into your eyes. This results in getting "tired" eyes. In addition, I don't think a clear skirt aids you with peripheral vision. The skirt is much too muddy to allow anything other than the detection of gross movement. I personally use black skirts and love them. Thanks.

Phil Ellis

Wayward Son:
Hunters & photographers tend to prefer black skirts. It keeps the peripheral light out, which makes your forward vision better. This helps when looking into holes for fish or into a camera.
Very true. Using a clear skirt in clear water, I often have to use my hand as a sunshield to get a good look into a hole or under a ledge. OTOH, the clear skirt widens the area of peripheral vision, and I often sense motion of either buddies or large animals through the sides of my mask.

even keeping a clear mask out of the sun and uv, after a few years, you have a tan colored skirt.

black is best. Does not refract light, does keep your eyes focused. It is softer and feesl better on the face. It also fits better I find. Plus I look dam good in black..:D

also does not discolour over time as a clear mask does..I have one of the triviews for snorkeling...EEK did I say that aloud..:D

lots of great insight here guys. sounds like there are both advantages and disadvantages to both types. i like the idea that the black skirt can keep light from coming in from behind you and can help your vision in certain circumstances. i do agree that while you don't necessarily have full peripheral vision with a clear mask you might be able to see just a bit more motion on the sides. i may have to think about it a bit more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom