Black Mask Skirt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Black is best for me.

My #1 issue is fit, I have a devil of a time finding masks that fit me. But all else being equal, if there is a mask that fits me & is available in both clear & black, I prefer black.

If I want periferal vision, I'll use a mask designed for it like a Scubapro Crystal Vue. It has a wrap around lens for the purpose.

I think what little you can see through the clear silicone is only distracting, and what they say about better forward vision above is true. I dove clear for 20 years of on-off diving (same mask!) and just switched after I decided to replace the ancient, yellowed, 2-gallon mask (see avatar) and found black to be softer in addition to what I had read about vision.

Some people think the black skirts are a bit claustrophobic but no personal experience with them... yet. My next mask is gonna have a black skirt for sure to keep glare out and as so many have said before... looks damn good!! It's all what works and what you like in the long run.

I have the black frame on black skirt big eyes, and my g/f has the yellow frame on black skirtbig eyes. We basically got them just cuz they were on sale. $27 @ LDS

You will love it!! It is the best mask I have used by far.

I'd stick with the black skirt

okay okay. i think you guys convinced me to at least give it a try. :) mine was $26 at scuba.com too rather than the $75 they wanted at an LDS so it's not exactly the biggest investment i've made.

Black skirt is fine, prevent discolour

I'm glad I found this thread before starting one. I've had 2 different DM's, one in Costa Rica, Pacific side and the other in Cozumel point into the distance and I could see nothing. 5 or 10 seconds later an eagle ray, both times an eagle ray, came into view. The DM's could see farther than me. I spoke to both of them later and they both attributed it to the black silicone mask letting in less light so it enabled them to see a greater distance. I was wearing a clear mask. I guess it must be true. I bought a black mask. Now, in the name of science, I'll have to book an experimental trip to someplace warm.

The things I do for science.

Back
Top Bottom