Biting Through Mouthpieces

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes I'm sure alot has to do with nerves! But I do like having it fit to my teeth and not worry about it.
Do you know if I can use it on the new APEX reg?

CW... I found the following for you... "Sea Cure Pro II - which fits the Apex Regulators" I dive with a Sherwood and found that the Sea Cure II works even though the packaging does not say it will...

Its a fine product that both me and my wife use and have no problem recommending it what so ever!!! FYI, if you do go this way, the instructions will state to trim to fit. It will be uncomfortable at this point but should not dig into the rear of your mouth. Follow the instructions regarding prep and if you do something wrong just repeat the heat and bit process... Don't bite too hard and if you ever used a mouth guard e.g. football, then you have the right idea on how to bite and suck so the mouth piece forms around the teeth...

lee

Is that the "Comfo-Bite" mouthpiece? I got used to them snorkeling, so I bought one for my (Zeagle) reg from Dive Gear Express. I really like the Comfo-Bite. It's this one:

comfo.jpg

That said, I just noticed recently that I had bitten all the way through it on both sides. Oopsie! This was over the course of around 50 dives. I don't think I'll change types because I like the CB; what I'm going to try to do is consciously relax my grip on it (which really does not need to be vise-like).

+1 for sea cure.
I had a similar problem of biting to hard. The Sea Cure fits into your mouth so that all teeth bite into it, not just the front so there is less pressure applied to a wider area.

I also soon discovered that i was biting hard because my hose pulled the regulator if I turn my head in certain positions. I got a miflex hose and no longer have the tugging on my regulator. No problems since

Sea Cure+Miflex= :D

I used to use the comfo bite, but got tired of replacing them several times a season. Same problem with the sharp teeth. I now use the seacure as it has a much thicker and denser tooth section. I haven't bothered to heat it up and fit. It works fine as is.

FYI I contacted Seacure in regards to what model to use on my Apeks as it was not listed on their site, they replied saying they do not recommend Seacures for Apeks as they have a lip on the 2nd stage and it does not seat properly.

FYI I contacted Seacure in regards to what model to use on my Apeks as it was not listed on their site, they replied saying they do not recommend Seacures for Apeks as they have a lip on the 2nd stage and it does not seat properly.

I've got Seacures (the # 2 version in Black) on my 2 Apex XTX 200's......they work perfectly....and 'seat' just fine!

Mouthpieces can impact second stage performance. Obviously a bite tab that is bitten off can enter the second stage and block the lever - but that is probably better than aspirating the loose bite tab. I recommend removing them before the tab comes complete off.

Beyond that, a mouthpiece with thin bite tabs results in your teeth being too close together and that impedes the gas flow into your mouth. That can cause the reg to chatter, etc. I have had some customers complain about perfectly functioning regs and the solution has been to switch to a mouthpiece with thicker bite tabs.

I am not a big fan of sea cure mouth pieces in part because I don't find them to be all that comfortable, and in part as if the user bites too hard when moulding them and/or has fairly large front teeth, they tend to block the airflow and turn great second stages into not so good second stages.

I have used the mouthpieces that you boil and mold but now have the new apex regulator. I bit through my new "comfort fit" mouthpiece the first day. I really liked the way it felt but apparently I bite hard and need something more durable. Please HELP!

Stop biting so hard. Your teeth and your dentist will thank you!

If you are still biting this hard after 50 dives, you might need more practice (drills, etc) in 'safe', well-known comfortable environments.

I've found that in addition to the mouthpiece, hose length and positioning can affect whether one bites too hard on the mouthpiece. I had to swap out a snorkel mouthpiece on my 2nd stage and have been too lazy to out a real one on it. The LP hose to my 2nd stage is a bit short and when the mouthpiece is in my mouth, it puts additional pressure on the reg forcing me to bite down a bit harder. You might look at yours to see if that is an issue.

I use the Seacores on my Apeks regs. and they fit fine [get a good aftermarket ty-wrap and snug it tight]....I've used all their colors and they say there is no difference in hardness but the blue ones feel softer.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom