Biting Through Mouthpieces

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cmomgowood

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have used the mouthpieces that you boil and mold but now have the new apex regulator. I bit through my new "comfort fit" mouthpiece the first day. I really liked the way it felt but apparently I bite hard and need something more durable. Please HELP!

I have used the mouthpieces that you boil and mold but now have the new apex regulator. I bit through my new "comfort fit" mouthpiece the first day. I really liked the way it felt but apparently I bite hard and need something more durable. Please HELP!

Stop biting so hard or put your old rock-hard-mouthpiece-that-you-boil-and-mold on your new regulator. I used to bite too hard too.

Why are you biting so hard... Nerves?

Get the Sea Cure (boil and mold) as you say and just keep your mouth closed! The nice thing about the mold is it takes no pressure to keep it in place... Since you need to trim to fit, I ended up trimming my up more than I would so I would fit into my wife's mouth (watch it boys... :) ) since she partners up with me a lot of the times...

lee

It may be that when you made your mouthpiece you bit too hard and made the mouthpiece too thin? Not only will that make your mouthpiece thin but make the air path smaller.

Adam

+ 1 more on the Sea Cure.

I believe that you can get a boil and bite of a different design through Trident, go down to page 219. You probably have to order from your local shop or scuba.com

That can be a problem: Back in 1974, I was diving at Pt. Lobos, CA with my Assistant Instructor. We were at about 40 FSW, 15 minutes into our dive. Louis, after signaling me, took off in pursuit of a large eagle ray, I was along side of him, about 2 feet back. He suddenly stopped, spat out his regulator and pointed to his mouth (signaling me to buddy-breathe). I gave him my regulator and we settled into a two-breath-each rhythm while maintaining our neutral buoyancy. We were under a very dense kelp canopy and had to buddy-breathe while traveling about 100 yards to a point where we could surface. We did so without further incident, surfaced, returned to our surf mats and to shore. Later examination of his regulator second stage showed that he had bitten off a tab from his mouthpiece and it had lodged in the regulator behind the actuating lever in such a fashion as to cut off his air supply. After some experimentation I found that in this circumstance, if I attempted to depress the purge button I could feel it stick and that if I sharply stuck the second stage it would then function.

Thanks! Guess I'm asking about a different mouthpiece b/c I've been told the moldable mouthpiece (Trident?) isn't available for my new Apex Regulator.

Yes I'm sure alot has to do with nerves! But I do like having it fit to my teeth and not worry about it.
Do you know if I can use it on the new APEX reg?

I have an issue where 2 teeth on the right are a perfect anvil and chisel. I get about 10-12 dives on a mothpiece. I am talking to my dentist about repair options... cheaper than alot of mouthpieces:)
ps.. not nervous underwater...just a funky tooth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom