Binocular Diplopia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At your age, giant cell arteritis must be ruled out.

You also need an MRA STAT to rule out an aneurysm. Have your optic nerves been evaluated with an OCT for papilledema?

Arteritis is not on the table of diagnoses to rule out and using an OCT to test for papilledema is like ordering a catscan to check for a splinter.

I apologize for being remiss in keeping up with my own thread. The current situation is about 75-80% recovery of normal vision after two months. Duke Dive Medicine neurology indicated that resolution in full was likely.
I had a ct scan and two MRI's. The result of all were normal save paralysis of the VI cranial nerve. The end diagnosis while not absolute was that the sinus swelled enough to damage the nerve, probably caused by forceful valsalva and previous congestion. Since I had a previous VII nerve injury and lots of facial stuff unrelated to diving there were contributing factors. I am still in contact with DDM and am planning on being back in the classroom when the University starts up at the end of August. I'm shooting for pool clearance first and then see where it goes.

I cannot emphasize the need, if valid, to immediately contact DAN and a dive medicine practice if you have an issue that you believe is dive related. The skill and concern of the folks at Duke Dive Medicine was spectacular. Not once in the times I was there were less than 3 doctors poking and prodding me. They were friendly and helpful and I would trust them with my life. From intake to end they were consummate professionals.

Once I get full resolution I will post an update.

Back
Top Bottom