Billabong wetsuit? (and other gear for a newbie/petite girl)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seasss

Reaction score
Hey there! This is my first post here, I kept being directed to this board doing scuba research, so I figured I may as well join to hopefully get some help directly!
icosm14.gif

I am brand spanking new scuba diving. I've done the in-class/in-pool part of my certification, but I still have to do my open water dives to complete the Open Water certification. I plan to travel to complete these...

I'm looking for some input on gear to be buying... I plan to stop in my local diveshop this weekend, but the more input from seasoned divers, the better of course!

As far as I know, everyone should have their own mask, snorkel, and flippers, correct? (rather than renting?) This is no problem, I've picked out a few choices that I will try to find locally to try out for fit in person.

Wetsuits
I need some help when it comes to wetsuits... I want to purchase my own wetsuit because I'm a very petite female (5'1" and 90lbs) and I'd rather not risk not fitting into a rental. Looking at wetsuit size charts, it looks like I'll have to get a youth sized wetsuit... There are a couple that stand out to me, if anyone could give some input.

Billabong Foil 3/2mm: I like this because it says it's super stretchy (i'm small, but not boy-figured, so it has to fit hips/chest) and there are a few optionals like sealed seams or more thickness. (actually one of the reviewers of this suit said they were from here...hopefully they will pop in
icosm14.gif
)
Quicksilver Synchro 3/2mm: similar to above.
NeoSport 3mm: good reviews, cheaper, but maybe not as stretchy?

Also, I plan to dive primarily in warm waters...will a 3mm or 3/2 be warm enough? Should I get sealed seams instead of flat-lock seams? Or a 4/3 suit instead? I guess I would say I get cold fairly easily, but is a 4/3 suit overkill for warm waters?

Regulator or BCD?
Should I invest in a regulator or BCD at this point in time? I read a quite few posts here where people recommended purchasing their own regulator (as opposed to a BCD). The idea of regulator that's only been in my mouth is nice for sure... Thoughts? On the other hand, I potentially face the same issue being small and fitting rental BCDs properly... Should I look into getting one or the other? Both? None?

How does it work with rentals if I have partial gear and I only need to rent some things...? Even if I bought a regulator, I wouldn't be buying an octopus at this point...can I rent and use with my own regulator?

Anything else I should look into getting?

Whew...this turned out long, so sorry for the book here! But hopefully someone can give some input! Thanks!

As far as wetsuits go, go to a shop and try on as many as you can. Buying online based on size charts isn't usually recommended, especially if you're not an average size. You might have fewer options if you have to look for youth sizes, but it'd be less headache than trying to do it online. You may need to go for a custom suit if you have an adult shape but petite dimensions, but try some on first, if you can find a good one, it'll be cheaper than custom in all likelihood.

As far as bc/regulator goes, I'd say get a bc first because a regulator doesn't need to fit, a bc does. Rentals in youth sizes might not be the easiest to come by and that would probably be what you'd need if you rented. Probably the best option, because of your size, is a backplate and wing because the harness is completely adjustable, and can be adjusted to fit YOU instead of some standard size determined at a factory.

If you buy a regulator, you buy the whole thing, first stage, primary second stage, octo and gauges (pressure, depth, etc). It would be too awkward to rent just an octo, you either rent the reg with octo and gauges or you don't rent a reg. If you go to rent some gear and have the rest, that's fine. If you only need to rent a bc for example, and have everything else, then you just rent a bc, simple as that.

Hey, welcome to ScubaBoard! First, yeah, you want a mask and fins (flippers will get you some funny looks, lol). A snorkel is optional, and most people don't bother. You'll need one to complete your OW, and that might be the last time you use it... before you lose it. There's no fashion in SCUBA (arguable by some, I guess), so with a mask and wetsuit, just get what fits. With a mask, hold it up to your face (don't strap it on) and breathe in through your nose - the mask should stay in place and be comfortable. After you find a few that fit, narrow it down by best field of view. With a suit, again get the one that fits the best, has good durable seams, and has the appropriate thickness for where you'll be diving. If you have a really hard time finding one, you can always spend a little (much) more and get a custom suit made.

Being so new, I'd recommend still renting a BC and regs until you've tried a few different styles and brands in water and get a feel for what you like before spending the coin. I personally like a BackPlate/Wing (BP/W) setup for a BC, and if you have a hard time finding a good BC that fits, this could be a great option for you as well. With regulators, I'd recommend a sealed (or "cold-water") first stage (the one that attaches to the tank). This way you're good to go if you ever choose to dive cold and/or deep water. It also prevents sand/dirt/debris from getting inside the reg, which is nice.

You will also have to choose between a DIN or Yoke valve (for the 1st stage). Yokes are mainly used on aluminum tanks in the Caribbean, parts of Mexico and parts of the US. DIN is typically used everywhere else in the world, on steel/high pressure tanks, and where water is cold. I prefer DIN for it's universal use (you need an adapter to use it on yokes though!), especially if you plan on traveling to different areas.

It doesn't really matter if you get everything all at once or one before the other. Order of purchase doesn't really matter either, but I suggest a BC first so you can get comfortable in it, learn it, and customize it to your liking. It's nice when all of that never changes.

Another thing to consider is emergency equipment, such as shears/knife, whistle, signal mirror, light, and SMB (surface marker buoy). Hopefully I'm never lost at sea, but if I ever am, I really really really hope I have these on hand - and you can't rent these (well, sometimes you can rent a light).

Edit: looks like Oreo beat me to the punch!

Welcome to the addiction!

For hard to fit sizes you are better off buying a wetsuit since available sizes as a rental can be hit or miss. If you are diving warmer waters a 3mm should be fine, but everyone's cold tolerance is different. You will find some are comfortable in swimsuit and rash guards, others on the same dive are completely chilled and need 5mm or even 7mm for same dive. The most important features of your wetsuit is fit, then fit, and then fit. It needs to be as snug as possible without cutting off circulation.

Be sure that the wetsuit in question is actually designed for scuba diving. Surfing wetsuits are more susceptible to compression and depth which significantly decreases their insulating protection. The Wetsuit Warehouse offers great prices on wetsuits, but a few models listed for scuba diving such as Hyperflex are listed as surfing wetsuits at primary scuba websites such as scuba.com. In warm waters at shallow depths may not be critical.

As for regulator v. BC as next purchase you will see both arguments. Some argue that the regulator is your life support and you should absolutely get this first. There is also the hygeine factor of putting someone else's mouthpiece in your own mouth. (see also threads on puking/vomiting in your reg!) If you are petite and require smaller BC then I would argue that the BC should be the next purchase. These are what I call personal fit items and if your BC fits more comfortably then your dive will be more comfortable. I know my LDS had to go out and buy a XS BC for my daughter so they could have that size in stock for the smaller divers. Just about any reg will work as a rental. You may not like the brand or model but they all work. I don't buy the argument they are more prone to failure than your own personal reg. In all practicality they are probably better cared for as rentals than many other diver's own private service record.

If you buy a regulator then you will need to purchase a SPG, depth guage, and octo at same time since these are all part of a unit rental. Most shops won't rent just and octo since they all have to be put on the same first stage unit. This obviously adds up and may result in being more expensive than you anticipated. I'd say go with the BC first but that is just my own $0.02.

Good luck.

I'd be careful with those brands. Billabong and Quiksilver tend to design surfing equipment. Surfing wetsuits and diving wetsuits are not exactly the same. The quality of neoprene can be lower in surfing suits and it can compress at depth and lose its insulation. Like the others have said, talk to your local dive shop and try some suits on to see what fits and what doesn't.

I'd be careful with those brands. Billabong and Quiksilver tend to design surfing equipment. Surfing wetsuits and diving wetsuits are not exactly the same. The quality of neoprene can be lower in surfing suits and it can compress at depth and lose its insulation. Like the others have said, talk to your local dive shop and try some suits on to see what fits and what doesn't.

They are very different indeed. The most important function of a wetsuit is termal protection. Surfing gear is not going to cut it and being petite you will get colder quicker. Scubpro make great equipment as do other brands, but I prefer Scubapro.

With regard to gear in general, members here (and elsewhere) will guide you to the brands they know and have used. I am no different as with my suggestion above. If you can find a instructor that is not looking to grease his own pockets then you will get some good advice. Gear is expensive. If you buy the right stuff the first time around it makes things a lot easier.

Apeks, Scuabpro, TUSA, Oceanic, Halcyon, Cressi to name a few all make great gear. It's all about budget and your specific needs. What I am about to suggest is going to be costly but will last you a lifetime, no jokes. It would be the Scubapro EverFlex wetsuit, Scubapro LiteHawk or LadyHawk BC, a MK11 or MK17 first stage with a S600 second and a R295 octo with the Scubapro compact SPG and depth gauge combo.

I hope someone will guide you to making the right choices. Good luck and enjoy your diving.

Welcome!

As a fellow noobie diver, I don't have much to add to the above responses, but I can tell you that I'm 4'10", about 110 lbs and a little curvy. I also chill very easily. I lovelovelove the 5mil ScubaPro Everflex wetsuit (womens size small). It's surprisingly easy to don/doff, it's VERY comfortable and it doesn't squish the "girls" if you know what I mean. It's a pricey suit and I don't dive in cold water very often, so I just rent it when I need it from my LDS. I also have the 3mil NeoSport that's on your list, but in the womens size 4 and it fits pretty good. It serves it's purpose and keeps me warm for a great price, but it isn't as comfy or as durable as the Everflex. If temps are below 77, I go with the 5mil, otherwise I stick to the 3mil.

Being so new, I'd recommend still renting a BC and regs until you've tried a few different styles and brands in water and get a feel for what you like before spending the coin. I personally like a BackPlate/Wing (BP/W) setup for a BC, and if you have a hard time finding a good BC that fits, this could be a great option for you as well.

What he ^ said!!! Try everything before buying so you have no regrets/surprises. I also 2nd the backplate/wing set-up. I use the small Halcyon stainless steel plate and it's a perfect fit for my short torso. And again, with the bp/w vs. jacket-style, there's no squishing of said "girls".

Happy shopping!!!

Thank you so much everyone for the awesome help and the warm welcomes!! :)

I didn't realize there was such a big difference between surfing wetsuits and scuba wetsuits... I'll go try some stuff on this weekend and hopefully something will fit! Seems like most of the youth-sized wetsuits are made for surfing...

As for a backplate/wing setup...I've seen this mentioned before and also saw a thread where a couple other petite people highly recommended it. Sounds like it might work better for me... How much (on average) can I expect to pay for this type of BC? Does it all come together or all separate pieces?

Welcome!

As a fellow noobie diver, I don't have much to add to the above responses, but I can tell you that I'm 4'10", about 110 lbs and a little curvy. I also chill very easily. I lovelovelove the 5mil ScubaPro Everflex wetsuit (womens size small). It's surprisingly easy to don/doff, it's VERY comfortable and it doesn't squish the "girls" if you know what I mean. It's a pricey suit and I don't dive in cold water very often, so I just rent it when I need it from my LDS. I also have the 3mil NeoSport that's on your list, but in the womens size 4 and it fits pretty good. It serves it's purpose and keeps me warm for a great price, but it isn't as comfy or as durable as the Everflex. If temps are below 77, I go with the 5mil, otherwise I stick to the 3mil.

What he ^ said!!! Try everything before buying so you have no regrets/surprises. I also 2nd the backplate/wing set-up. I use the small Halcyon stainless steel plate and it's a perfect fit for my short torso. And again, with the bp/w vs. jacket-style, there's no squishing of said "girls".

Happy shopping!!!

Hey thanks!!

Just wondering where you dive with your 5mm suit?

Also, is your entire backplate/wing bc set-up Halcyon?

I'm 5' 0" and about 115. I agree that you should try on wetsuits until you find the right fit - don't buy based on charts. I like my Hendersons and they're a size 6 - so I'd guess a size 4 would probably fit you - but you need to try it on to be sure. I really like my Zeagle Zena BC - it adjusts in so many ways that I can pull on straps all over the place to really customize it to my form. I got it for a really good price when my LDS was clearancing their Zeagles because they weren't going to be carrying the line anymore (normally $500-ish?). But again, I really like it. I also have an Aqualung Pearl and a Zuma - if I had it to do again I'd just get the Zena and be done with it.

Someone else said something about "welcome to the addiction" - plus one! You will forever have another "something" to purchase - and it really is fun to shop for this stuff (and I don't normally like shopping)!

Back
Top Bottom