Bikini Atoll, deep air for everyone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I was there last August there was a guy from Florida whos qualifications would, according to some, have precluded him for diving. But he did fine, though he was not a grewat swimmer - more of a pedaller. But he had a great time, was concientious (sp?)and sensible.

As Dave says, there are lots of divers with only a few dives under their belt who are considerably better than those with 100s. I dived in a certain place 18 months ago with someone who was an instructor, and one dive we did together was particulalry enjoyable for them because it was their 100th. There is no way in a million years you would have thought they were an instructor looking at the way they dived.

Jonathan - were you one of Simon Pridmore's group from Guam? Simon was on Bikini the week before I was last August. Had the guy who, when we flew in told us all about the wonderful different types of crabs there were on Bikini. And we were wondering what on earth he was on about - flying to the middle of nowhere to see the world's best wrecks and going on about crabs. It transpired he did not dive (can't remember the reason - cold feet, me thinks!).

Regards
Jim

Yeah I was with Simon's group this year - so as you can imagine if he suggest's something like don't inflate both bladders on your nice new shiney OMS wing the person might take his advice.....

I think the person you're referring to did go to dive, only problem was that he ruptured his ear drum or some such on his first dive - ouch! All that money and then do that!

I'll be off to see Simon next year to do my trimix course.

Cheers
Jonathan

what is the story about doing penetrations on the wreck there.

I heard that you needed to be full cave certified to penetrate the saratoga

anybody doing good penetration dives on these wrecks.

how would you compare it to Truk

I think it all depends on the group - we had a very mised group some cave certified, some padi wreck qualified and others with none.

Threre was no "ferretting" our week - the cavers went a bit deeper whilst the padi ones followed a permanent line, not really penetration.

I got the feeling if you all turn up cave divers with a good bit of experience then Tim may let you run a bit after he has checked you out.

Can't compare to Truk - yet!

Jonathan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom