Bike Tube Straps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just another tip for the use of innertubes, In commercial diving where We ruin lots of cuffs on all kinds of drysuits, cut a section of tube and use them as rubber bands to tighten the cuffs on drysuits that are well used. This will help control the burbing of air through loose fitting cuffs. Of course, replacing the cuffs will be the best solution but, if diving in a remote location, this will help continue diving.
As a Commercial Diver, I also take an innertube patch kit to repair latex wrist seals. I brought a rather large patch kit when I worked in Mexico...months at end at a very remote Island. I was putting the neck dam over my Head and tore the neck seal. No way to get a new one and no time to send it out. I used the patch kit on both sides of the 6" tear and within an Hour, back to work. It held for 2 months and about 190hrs underwater!
Just food for thought Bill

haha, BMX and Mtn bikes is my first hobby. Scuba is second (I know call me silly) But to come to a scuba board to find bicycles involved struck me as humerous. Anyways what the heck are you guys talking about? Do you have any pics of what you are doing with these tubes?

Wingnutt, do you know about sew ups? My Italian Pinneralo road bike came with sew ups. I converted it to tubed tires long ago.

Oh, thanks for the tips on putting on extra tubes because unthreading that dang harness is a pain in the rear.

I took an extra piece about four inches long and slid it over the bolted section on the crotch strap so it does not cut my wet suit. I also started using a piece on the waist band to tuck the extra length of strap once cinched up. I don't cut my waist strap short because I often dive in a swim suit and rash guard and other times in a wet suit and I need the adjustment length.
N

dilligaf368, good tips for those remote dive locations.

For holding the backup light and inflator hose I like using 1/8' bungee better than the tubes. It's easier to replace and easy to get the size just right. Before tying the knot I slip on shrink tubing, tie the knot, slide the shrink tubing over the knot, shrink it, and you have a smooth bungee ring.

In this picture, you can see that I've used it to hold the LP inflator hose to the corrugated inflator ... I use 2 here.

You can't see it in the pic, but there's another one holding the B/U light in place (that's what the bolt snap in the pic is for as well). You can however, see the spare piece of tubing just below the D-ring that has now actually been put into use when the original one holding the B/U light in place broke :wink:
Inflator_Bungie_2.jpg

Oh~~man 2 inch tube is used in a lot of area on the plate

Harness_Resurrection.JPG

Nemrod-yeah I am familiar with sewups. All the little BMX 3-6 yearolds used them on those tiny arse rims. I did lots of repairs on them when I worked at the bike shop way back when. Now the big thing is the tubeless tires on mtn bikes. Lotts of guew.

Hoosier, where did you get the blue webing? Also, lol, I thought only one D ring per strap was allowed, have you been ticketed for your deviant D-ringery. I put a piece of tube on my crotch strap to kep the bolt from digging into my wet suit like you did and also on the front part of the crotch strap where the end piece is cuttoff so that the burned edge does not also wear/rub my wet suit. I have another now on the waist strap to secure the loose end of the waist strap since Itend to leave it long so I dive with no wet suit or different thickness wet suits and not run out of strap and also allows a little to be pulled into the shoulders if I need it.

WingNutt, I had no idea they were using sew ups on Mountainn Bikes and BMX. I never could keep air in them and they are impossible to repair. You are talking about the type that glue on to the rim and use a special rim that has a glue surface? Weird. I used sew ups until I discovered those super thin tubes and slick "Turbo" tires I think fromSpecialized. I don't know what the hot set up is now. My Pinnerallo has Mavic flat top rims and also a set of Mavic elliptical low profile wheels and a set of Campy sew up rims that came on the bike. It is an older Columbus SL steel tube bike, all Campy, exposed cables, Campy derails and friction handles--no click junk. N

Cycling is one of my other vices as well. I don't know of them using sewups on mountain bikes but thats another topic. (Edit): Tubeless tires on mountain bikes are not sewups, they work like a car tire, the tire sealing against the rim is enough to hold the air in. I have a mountain bike like this and personally I think they are a PITA.
For those not well versed in bicycle innnertubes I can shed some light. Shops will likely give you all the busted tubes you want, especially if they know you aren't trying to patch them. If you choose to buy a new tube (to avoid one with "slime" or other nasties) look at the second part of the number. Mountain bike tubes are imperial size. 26 x ?.?? the larger the second number the wider the tube, this generally refers to the casing width on the tire itself. If you find that a 26 x 2.25 tube isn't enough find out if they have "downhill tubes." No, i'm not pulling your leg, bikes made for just going downhill have different tubes. These come in wider widths and it should be easy to find a 2.5-3.0" width tube.

http://www.maxxis.com/products/bicycle/product_detail.asp?id=112
just so you know i'm not pulling your leg on the downhill innertube thing.

Nemrod:
Hoosier, where did you get the blue webing? Also, lol, I thought only one D ring per strap was allowed, have you been ticketed for your deviant D-ringery. I put a piece of tube on my crotch strap to kep the bolt from digging into my wet suit like you did and also on the front part of the crotch strap where the end piece is cuttoff so that the burned edge does not also wear/rub my wet suit. I have another now on the waist strap to secure the loose end of the waist strap since Itend to leave it long so I dive with no wet suit or different thickness wet suits and not run out of strap and also allows a little to be pulled into the shoulders if I need it.

The blue webbing is from here. It is only 60 cent per ft plus the shipping.

As for the D-rings, my rig is a pretty much DIR rig (only one D-ring each sholder) at this moment, but who cares how many D-rings I put .J The plate is Fred T’s AL plate in a small size. It works great. It is true that the webbing cost isn’t much, but it is going to be another time cost to order and replace it to me… 2 inch tube is so common and free from any bicycle shops. Even, there is a thick tube for the mountain bike usage.

Yes, I didn’t put any tubes for the waist strap for the adjustment. It is a good point..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom