Bike help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

watergal

Reaction score
Condition: Air balmy 70°--Water 44°
Situation: Watergal needs a warmer hobby for a few months
Proposed solution: Take up road biking
Potential complication: haven't been on a bike in 15 years
Status: Obtained bike--went for 30 mile ride--came back with 4 bruises and a skined knee
Needed: Anyone know of a site like this for newbie bicyclers?
Alternative: Anyone know where one can buy asprin & neosporin in bulk?

Guess that's why its 'watergal', not asphaltgal. Sigh.
Thanks, folks.

Hey watergal, if you find a good site like that please post to us back here. I have a friend who wants me to train for the Seattle-to-Portland ride, and to do it in one day, not two & I haven't been on a bike in a couple years, unless you count Spin Class at the gym :) (and I nearly fell off of that bike the first time I did it).

-kate

Being an off-season biker (not everday but often enough to keep my butt callused) - I tend to look at the positive parts of your situation.

** You haven't been on a bike in 15 years and you ride 30 miles... It took me weeks to work up to that. Without getting too personal though - my bones may be older than yours ( if not chronologically at least physiologically they are ).

Don't know of a site to help , but from my experience I would suggest maybe starting slower and working your way up. I'm just guessing that the bruises and skinnings came for different things , if not I think you may have identified the problem - now what the solution is I may have to get more specific info.

Do you have a road bike or mtn. bike?

Neosporin is o.k. hold off on the aspirin for now it will promote bleeding.. stick to tylenol.

I'll check with a friend who is working towards his 100 mile ride , just finished a 60 miler, to see if he knows of a site. I won't see him til church tomorrow, though.

get back to you later,

Todd

Will do, Scubakat.

While we are chatting, can I make you a deal on a half case of asprin?

And may I politely suggest you consider aquiring some slightly saner friends? Real soon! :p

Best of luck-- you can do anything you set you mind and thighs to.

Hey RR, thanks for the help. It made up for me hanging my head in shame over the knife thing. You can hold on to 4 and I can't even keep one. Sigh.

It is an entry level road bike, a Giant with Tiagra components--I will never race, but it sure beats the 3 speed that was my last bike!

Did I mention that 30 mi was over 4½ hours, a not too hilly route, and included with a nice long Gatorade & Powerbar break in there? I am starting out reeeeeal slow, if not in miles then in pace! Believe it or not, the muscles aren't sore at all (does anyone else hear an unspoken 'yet'?)

All injuries form the same thing--a combination of me being an incredible klutz and those &$%& newfangled pedals! I can't get out fast enough in the event of an incident. I was HOPELESS with the clipless ones, put on clips with lose straps thinking I would work my way up, but still, I come to an intersection, slow to stop, and can't get a foot out in time before stopping & going over. That was one of the things with which I was hoping some other klutzes with more experience could help . The bike shop people are great, but are athletes and don't understand people who are incapable of giving a turn signal with one hand while steering with the other.

What, replace them with flat pedals you say? Never! That would be defeat! What's a few bruises? I have plenty of surface area left!

Thanks again folks

Firstly I want to commend you for your choice

I had been my experience, of seven years directly related to the Business of cycling, that the Winter months are the time for Mountian bikes.

I would notice that more and more people bought Mountian bikes for the Wnter training for the following reasons:

Can wear warmer clothes
Move at a slower pace, but still have the Cardio workout.
Cactus were less of a threat than the "visiting drivers"
Bob owns one and hasn't ridden with us and I want to join him

Now as for a forum like this for cycling there are a few local links that I found but none near SC.

Pedals yeah been on the ground several times myself I finally learned the trick of ankle first, that is twist your ankle on exits, works on all types of pedal set ups

I know just the thing for you. A paddle boat. Exercise and water, what could be better. you could even tow the kayak behind and trade offf for the upper torso workout. And best of all no bruises when you fall...... better wear the wetsuit for Jocassee though.
Hey that even accelerates the workout.

Am I a genius or what ?

Please don't answer the above question.

Foothillsdiver

That's an easy one Foothills, clearly 'or what'.

Ooops, didn't see that last sentence. I am so sorry. And you teach, you say? And charge people money for that sage advice? Yes, well....

:D

Hi watergal,
before I got Fibromyalgia I used to be an avid bicyclist. I used to ride 20 - 25 miles a day, and more on the weekends. I always participated in the organized bike rides at festivals and charity events. I never did a 100 mile century, but my longest ride was a metric century (62.5 miles). You can do it too.

First, and foremost, your bike has to fit. Sometimes even well meaning bike shop owners will sell you the wrong bicycle just to make a sale, and this is very unfortunate for the beginning cyclist. If you want to e-mail me I can figure out if you have the right size.

Next, on the clipless pedals... they are far superior to clips and straps, but there are a few "rules"
1. Always use the same foot to put down at a stop. Get used to using only that foot. Anticipate the fact that you are going to have to get out of the pedal way before you need to. These pedals usually have adjustments and can be set a little loose. Some are made to float in a side to side movement to save knees and are definitely better.
Don't be pedaling at the last minute before a light, or stop sign, and get the other foot at the top of the pedal rotation. By using the same foot all the time, you will train your body to lean to that side so you will always be balanced right.
2. Practice this skill in a parking lot. It's the same as practicing scuba skills in the pool. You want it to be second nature.
3. Make sure your seat is adjusted properly. You don't adjust your seat so you can touch the ground with your foot while sitting in the saddle. You are supposed to adjust it for when you are actually riding. I can help you with that as well.
4. Wear bike shorts no matter what you think you look like in them. They serve a purpose.
5. There are other adjustments you need to make besides the height of your seat. That is only one of the things needed to fine tune you fit.
6. Get a mirror to put on the end of the bar or brake hood in the case of a road bike. The are made for road and mountain bikes, and don't look like the old "motorcycle" type of mirrors. It is never nerdy to be safe and know what's coming up behind you. I'm assuming that you are wearing a helmet.
7. Always turn corners with the inside pedal at the top of the rotation. Don't pedal around corners, until you are coming out of the other side.
Go to the Bicycling Magazine site and read all the articles you can find, or buy the magazine. It helps to study this like any other sport.
Bicycling is a great sport, and the organized rides are wonderful places to meet people. It's like anthing else. When you know how to do it right, and you relax, you have a blast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom