Biggest thing killing dive shops?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but for those of us in high sales tax states, if an online retailer doesn't charge for sales tax, that can be a significant savings vs buying local.

I'm going to be buying a Perdix and two transmitters over this winter. The savings between my local shop and DGX is a bit over $100 because DGX doesn't charge sales tax for orders outside FL. That $100 is a big chunk of change to me. I know there is very little margin on Shearwater products, so it's not like I can ask my LDS for a discount to make up for the sales tax.

Or you can live in Anchorage, Alaska, where despite all logic and a pretty bad budget deficit, there is absolutely no sales tax.

I know there is very little margin on Shearwater products, so it's not like I can ask my LDS for a discount to make up for the sales tax.

A lot of manufacturers won't even let you price below a MAP, and it can make it tricky with your warranty if they do. Although in your instance, at least give your LDS a chance to be competitive. I wish more people just point-blank asked if we could price match. 90% of the time, we absolutely can, and the other 10% I don't blame people at all for going online or buying used.

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but for those of us in high sales tax states, if an online retailer doesn't charge for sales tax, that can be a significant savings vs buying local.

I'm going to be buying a Perdix and two transmitters over this winter. The savings between my local shop and DGX is a bit over $100 because DGX doesn't charge sales tax for orders outside FL. That $100 is a big chunk of change to me. I know there is very little margin on Shearwater products, so it's not like I can ask my LDS for a discount to make up for the sales tax.
Sure you can. One of my students did this at the shop where I teach. The shop made some money, just not as much. The sales tax thing is a big issue though

Price matching doesn't help when the item in question has the exact same price at both retailers. The sales tax is the problem.

No, I get price matching doesn't help in that instance. I meant it doesn't hurt to ask if they would discount the computer to a point that you're getting a better deal, even with sales tax, like you originally mentioned.

Here is something for dive shops to think about.

My wife and I recently purchased a new camera at a local camera dealer. We could have gotten it cheaper online, but we bought it locally. It is by no means a high end camera--far from it. Like all modern cameras, though, it has a ton of features, and the instructions were not all that great. The camera shop offered a free lesson with the camera, and we took them up on it. Yesterday we sat down for over an hour with one of the managers while he went over the camera's features with us, showing us stuff we ever could have figured out on our own.

Neither of the dive shops I have worked with do anything like that for people purchasing computers or the like.

Theoretically, you’re supposed to report and pay sales tax on any items you buy out of state according to your local rates. But nobody ever does this, unless maybe they get audited and popped.
I’m seeing now that some of my online art supply dealers in NY are collecting CA sales tax when I order stuff even though it’s free shipping. That particular chain also has retail locations in CA so that might have something to do with it. Never the less, they have great prices online and their brick and mortar prices are the same. The reason I order online is it saves me gas, time, trying to park, and bridge toll to either go to Berkeley or San Francisco.

Hello OP,

Some of us seem to have veered off your topic in this thread. We are reminiscing about diving the Channel Islands from Truth Aquatics and Peace boats. We are actually on topic if you think about it.

Refer to posts by Drrich2, MDB, Eric S (your thread, I know)., and myself.

What are we saying about these operators (not dive shops, I realize that):
  1. they are nice;
  2. they have good food;
  3. they take us to cool places;
  4. they let us dive how we wish;
  5. they are not scuba police;
  6. they are reasonably priced;
  7. they are professional.
Some have mentioned good LDS stores. One was Dolphin Scuba in Sacramento. All of the attributes above can be ascribed to Dolphin Scuba. Even the food! They have served me food on several occasions.

I think this may be a piece of the puzzle that answers your question.

Good Topic,
markm
It seems like dive shops in larger populated areas like Sac and LA have a much easier time than some of the more remote shops that specialize in pretty much the local scene, for the exception of maybe Monterey.
And I still maintain why CA dive boats don’t get more tourism is because of cold water and the lack of babysitting. The LOB dive culture nowdays is all about comfort and pampering. The culture of CA dive boats goes way back to a time before foo foo dive op’s when divers (who were locals) were expected to pretty much DIY their whole diving world. The boat provided a ride, a bunk, air, and plenty of food, the rest is up to you.

Price matching doesn't help when the item in question has the exact same price at both retailers. The sales tax is the problem.

Still doesn't hurt to ask. Perhaps they can meet you "halfway", and add some overall value to the whole deal.

They might not be able to match the price, but they can sometimes give youstore credit towards other things like fills, service, classes, etc to make up the difference.

It seems like dive shops in larger populated areas like Sac and LA have a much easier time than some of the more remote shops that specialize in pretty much the local scene, for the exception of maybe Monterey.
And I still maintain why CA dive boats don’t get more tourism is because of cold water and the lack of babysitting. The LOB dive culture nowdays is all about comfort and pampering. The culture of CA dive boats goes way back to a time before foo foo dive op’s when divers (who were locals) were expected to pretty much DIY their whole diving world. The boat provided a ride, a bunk, air, and plenty of food, the rest is up to you.
Disagree.
I lead a fair number of dive trips, mostly from the East coast somewhere, to the Caribbean and Asia and other places. Cold water, yes, no one wants to do that except for special places like Galapagos, Antarctica, and the Sardine Run. Baby sitting? Sure, they like it, they are happy to pay for it, but except for one lady with a bad back, do not factor it into their decisions. The baby-sitting in (for example) Boanire is minimal: from a boat you get a guide in the water, but you don't need to follow him or her. No help with tank switch-overs. From shore you are definitely NOT baby-sat..
I think your exposure to diving away from California must be very limited.

Back
Top Bottom