Bigger tank or continue diving more?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mwhities

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm 6' 6" and 320lbs (Yes, I've gone up a few pounds.) and I'm a major air hog. The last 4 dives, well, minus one, I actually did a lot better than my 11 previous dives. I don't have a SAC or anything, but I can only last about 20 to 25 minutes on an AL80. My dive buddy, frankc420 can last more and well over and hour. I've read over and over that I just need to dive more and it will get better. I hope so. I just hate cutting my dive buddies diving time out so much.

Would I be better to do with a larger tank or just keep telling my dive buddy that I'll slowly get better? I know there are some 120's and what not, but I'm not sure if it would be that much better. I'm thinking to equal our dive time a little more.

Another option, would it be feasible to go with dual tanks? My wife already told me that she would help me purchase that to help me out. (Dual tanks or singles, she said she'd buy a tank (larger one tank) for Christmas if it helps.) I don't really plan to go REALLY deep or technical, but I would think it would help my bottom time out. (I know, my fat (__Y__) needs to lose weight and get my cardio back up. I'm working on it. :p)

What opinions or suggestions does every one have? (I know I'll probably get plenty. :p)

Thanks all.

Michael

I would suggest not breathing so much.

Yeah, I've tried doing that. Still not getting it quite right. :)

Thanks,

Michael

I am new to diving and I have been following my SAC rate. It has improved as I dive more and I can see where my dives were more challenging by my sac rates. It is an interesting thing to follow. This is a great site for doing the math for you and helping to figure your SAC ratehttp://http://www.spearfishing.org/bruces_tips/java/sac.html

Anyway, experience does bring it down, it is hard to get experience when you are worrying about holding back you dive buddy. I do this a lot.

2 matching tanks eventually make doubles. and depending on where you dive you can come up, change to your full tank and continue a dive while your buddy uses the same tank.

But I found thinking about my breathing during a dive did wonders to help my breathing. I have always remembered something TheRedHead posted about breathing and when I am diving I try to do it. 3/5 Inhale for 3 seconds exhale for 5 seconds. it really helped alot.

Good luck with your diving

Surelyshirly,

Thanks for the page, I've bookmarked it and with my last dive, I'm at 1.8 SAC. (I think I did it right.) If so, I think that really sucks. :)

I try my best to concentrate on breathing and exhaling slowly and fully, but when I saw my first barracuda, I got so excited, I dropped 500psi in two seconds flat. :)

I'll try the 3/5. I'm quite large, maybe I should do 5/8 or something? When I try to take long breaths, it's quite deep and I feel like I'm sucking the tank dry with one breath. I'll continue to work at it.

Thanks for the site again and your encouraging words.

Michael

buy the big tanks,large people need large amouts of air and after you use a steel tank you prob. wont want a alum tank anymore. A 120 hp or 130 would prob. be a good choice.

It sounds like you're practically hyperventilating. Time to learn cold water treatment/exhalation drills. I'd also suggest learning to remain calm, and not moving so much. Do your best to be as still as possible while underwater.

mwhities:
Surelyshirly,

Thanks for the page, I've bookmarked it and with my last dive, I'm at 1.8 SAC. (I think I did it right.) If so, I think that really sucks. :)
Most new divers are around 1.0 or so. I'm old, well past 200 pounds but have several thousand dives. My sac is about .35 so on a shore dive on Maui I get a couple of hours on my 80.

The more you think about breathing the worse it gets. I'm not in favor of breathing in any manner other than you breathe when you require air, some in, some out, slow, deep, shallow, all advice that will more than likely screw up your sac.

Proper weighting and good bouyancy control is most important. Not flapping your arms around like a condor during takeoff is important. Relaxing is important. Being warm is important.

Big tanks help, many large guys will buy one but after doing 50 or so dives in a few months they'll discover they really didn't need it.

Your SAC rate should improve as you dive more. You might want to get the bigger tank. Diving and exercising are going to make the biggest improvement. I use diving as motivation to work out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom