Big Surf

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mccabejc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This weekend in Southern California they're predicting some pretty big surf coming from the west. I also noticed they are predicing HUGE surf on the Hawaiian north shores from the same storm, and they said they closed some Oahu beaches yesterday.

Have you folks noticed big surf? I was just looking at a Waikiki webcam and it looks pretty calm, though it's pretty sheltered from NW swells as I recall.

We are planning a big diving/camping outing this weekend with about 20-30 Scubaboarders, and it looks like we won't be doing much diving.

Napili was 4-6ft with occassional 8ft this morning, with waves pumping in every 5 seconds or so, it's usually 1-2ft on a rough day. And that's the northwest shore. But my dive buddy just told me there is a calm spot down the road . . . soooo it's off to diving I go.

Tim

P.S. had a lot of guests last night complaining about not sleeping because the waves were too loud . . . "Sorry m'am I can't turn the waves off, the switch is broken. . . "

I described seeing truly big stuff in another thread today. It's at first awesome and majestic. Then it's quite sobering -- it's nothing to fool with. I once asked a lifeguard friend what it's like go out in stuff like that to rescue somebody and he simply said: "Yeah, well....you go out and you do your job and get stone-cold scared later".

Jim, are you already starting to work yourself up not to dive this weekend??? It's simple, send some of the other guys in first, if they make it, we can too.

A friend on Maui wrote me that the north shore is getting 35-50 feet already.

I'd go see a movie.

There's some pretty big surf out here -- mostly from the north but with a bit
of westerly. Managed to get out and dive tucked back in at Kaiwi Point
yesterday - nice dives (despite the remains of a cold) - Bandit Angels,
Tinker's Butterflys, Viper Moray, Red-Stripe Pipefish, a small Whitetip
Reef Shark.

I see a few hopeful surfers at Lyman's Point this morning.

Wish I could shake the remains of the cold I picked up in Chicago :sad:

Looks like no more surf - I did a dive yesterday and other than low (1-3ft) vis for the first 100 feet out from shore it was really nice. 4ft eagle ray, lots of turtles, and the whales were singing Christmas Carols. . . of course I also lost a fin while getting out - BUMMER - (Spring strap and all) so I had to go back today and see if I could find it . . . no sucess. . . but the water was still wet :)

Aloha, Tim

P.S. If anyone finds an XXL Jet fin on the bottom at canoes beach (by the Hyatt) in Lahaina . . . drop me a line!

Back
Top Bottom