Big stuff in August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajunky17

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a dilemma, I really want to return to Raja Ampat but as I am unjabbed I cannot.
I did some diving in Cozumel a few years back and was not that impressed. Are there other locations in Mexico with better diving than Coz in August. I like Pelagic / big schools etc and backpacker style approach.
I am debating either Costa Rica Mexico or the Andaman Islands.

Cocos in Costa Rica is excellent in August, but it is liveaboard and doesn't fit your backpacker style requirement.

August is too early for Revillagigedos (aka Socorro) but the Sea of Cortes is doable: sea lions and big schools of fish in La Paz, and Cabo Pulmo is good for bull sharks and the big school of jacks (but I have never been there in August and do not know if they are seasonal).

Can't help you with Andaman Islands if you are referring to southeast of India. If you are referring to diving the Andaman Sea or west side of Thailand, I believe that August is monsoon season on that side, and most people head to the Gulf side to places like Ko Samui and Ko Tao.

Thank you for your input. Much appreciated. La Paz looks like a mission to get to from Puerto Valletra or Cancun.

Not sure if a mission.....a little adventure, maybe.

I have to think that there are flights to La Paz from Cancun by way of Mexico City, if not direct.

I learned while on a boat south of La Paz in May that the ship that I saw passing by was a ferry that originated from Mazatlan. Google Maps says that Mazatlan is about 450 km north of Puerto Vallarta. There is also a ferry out of Los Mochis that is a shorter ferry ride to La Paz, but Los Mochis is almost twice the distance (840 km) from Puerto Vallarta.

Thanks for that, I imagined that there must be ferry's. Is there accommodation to suit all budgets in La Paz area, backpackers etc

I would imagine that there is, but I am of no help there. I've only stayed in hotels. In May, I stayed at the Hotel La Catedral and I highly recommend it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom